Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #1 
vocalgirl1986

Ok people...I need some serious help woth both bettas

Ok so im having major problems with my bettas. So i bought them around the same time about a month ago. The purple one was soooo lively and active. Always dancing at the front of the cage anytime I came around. Always swimming around his tank. Hes in a heated 5 gal tank. Now for the past week hes been acting like this. Just sits at the top of the tank mostly in the corner. He will switch sides once and a while. Hes still eating. But i swear I can not get him to react to me finger or hand. I could touch him if I wanted and he wont move. I do think I was feeding to much. And I do think I might have gave him to many blood worms. Whats WRONG with him?

Now for the blue and yellow betta. Hes been pretty healthy other then having some weird fin problems. Now look at him! He looks sick! Seems bottom heavy. Hes also still eating and he is in a heated 2.5 gal tank.

Please help me.....Im getting so frustrated! I had a betta in hign school that i swear NEVER DIED. He lived in a tiny betta tank and it was filthy. And he lived for sooo long.

Thanks
Attached Images

vocalgirl1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...we need some more information...

How much and how often are the water changes, temp, filter, live plants, additives used, any tank mates, type/amount of food, any treatments tried, if so, what.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #3 
vocalgirl1986

Changed the water last week. The temp is about 78. No filters becuase my bettas can never swim all the moving water. No live plants. I use stress coat. No tank mates. They were on betta flakes and freeze dried blood worms. In the morning i gave them one worm and at night a few flakes. Im aware that was way to much. I gave the a little bit of a pea a few days ago. because I thought maybe they were constipated.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Filters are optional with Bettas and often the water flow can be stressful on them and damage the delicate fins, that said, since we often don't use filters with our Bettas the tank will need more water changes to maintain water quality....

Since you don't have live plants-water changes on the:
Unfiltered 5gal-weekly 50% and monthly 100%
Unfiltered 2.5gal-twice weekly-1-50% and 1-100%
Provided that they are not overfed and uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time.

Right now-I would make 50% daily water changes on both tanks for 2 days and see if this will perk them up...hold food during this time and then if they perk up-offer small frequent meals-

It doesn't sound like you are overfeeding-however, you may want to add a pellet to their diet so you can alternate it with the flakes and bloodworms

Be sure the water temp of the replacement water is within a few degrees of the tank water by checking it with a thermometer

Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes as a general rule......

Keep us posted....and you have some lovely Bettas by the way....

If they don't perk up after the 2 days of 50% water changes-they may need Epsom salt treatment....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 
vocalgirl1986

Ok i will start doing doing some water changes today.

Its so weird... do you think all bettas are different? I had one for about two years and died about 2 months ago. I swear i only changed his tank when it was really dirty. He was the happiest fish in the world.

What do you think of the spine on the blue one?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

That is true....everyone of them can be different in the tolerance to different things.....however, thriving and surviving are two different things....

The spine....are you talking about the hump back look on him.......
Old 10-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #7 
vocalgirl1986

Ya well I just from the way he acted...he seemed so happy. These guys. Not so much.

Yea the back on the blue one.

I just did 50% water changes on both tanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Hump back can be genetic related, age related-often as a Betta ages they will get a hump back and health, dietary related can also be causes....
Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #9 
vocalgirl1986

ok.... thank you. So why do you think these water changes are going to do? Do you think they have constipation?
Old 10-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

The number one medication/treatment for freshwater fish...is freshwater (dechlorinated)........often all that is needed is improved water quality.....for a fish-quality water is like fresh air to us...its their life-line......