Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #1 
bettarainbow

Petsmart and petco rules regarding live fish

Did you know if you buy a live fish from petsmart, you have only 14 days to return it for exchange or refund ?? Well i didn't know that, my sister told me because she bought few guppies from petsmart and 2 die, 3 weeks later, she went back to make an exchange and one of the saleperson told her that she couldn't do that. Petsmart is too smart
Petco policy is better, you have 30 days.
I noticed also that petco have better betta than petsmart regarding coloration but petsmart betta are cheaper than petco hehe
So, at the end, which one is better, petco or petsmart ??
bettarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #2 
ManInBlack2010

locally for me, petsmart is way better. they seem more knowledgable and friendly wheras the people that work at my local petco are idiots. both bettas i've gotten from petco have had some kind of problem.
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

The nearest PetCo to me SUCKS as far as care and management but the one a little farther away rivals the best fish stores here.

PetsMart near me is great too....they actually have a few betta breeders working in the fish department...I would however like to see the "Dragonscale" changed to HMPK. The only problem I've had is finnage issues on the males...some are very ripped up but they use a lot of methylene blue in their water so it's not too big of a deal.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Hmm, from a business standpoint- I can see why they'd only have the return policy as 14 days. I think that's a pretty good amount of time to return a fish or exchange! Gives you time to make sure the fish isn't diseased or will get along in a community. My local place only gives me 3 days and my local PetsMart only 7. :/

The closest PetCo is 40 miles from me... sooo I'm not driving out there just for supplies or fish unless it's necessary :P
Only places where I am is PetsMart and a few locally owned places. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 
Leeniex

Petsmart is better near me. I'm surprised that would give you more than a week to return a fish. Who knows what happens to the fish when it leaves the store.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 
titusthebetta

They both aren't the greatest where my school is. Neither stores seemed really knowledgable about bettas. So I'm actually trying a couple other places nearby to see if they take better care of their bettas or not.
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #7 
Bambi

For me the petsmart here is a thousand times better then petco, both in the looks of their fish and how they care for them.

But yeah. two weeks is reasonable for a live fish since you could do any number of thing to kill them yourself.
Considering most people on aquabid only give you an hour and don't refund sick fish that will die a week later, the two weeks seems great doesn't it xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I haven't bought any fish from the new pet smart... yet, and we don't have a petco. But we have a pets unlimited. They had a one week return policy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

all 5 petsmarts around me here is 1000% times better then the 3 petco's .. around me ..

recently (2-3 months) ago is when i noticed petco changed their 14 day policy to 30 days .. probably to "promote" more trust in their fish .. since it's guaranteed to live at least that long or u can return/exchange with a water test ..

most LFS here are 7 day return .. some only have 1-3 days return .. and if there isn't a return policy don't buy from them (always ask what the policy is before buying fish) .. as LFS should know that temperament can be an issue .. if they don't even allow 1 day exchanges/returns .. then there is something fishy about them (pun intended ^_^)

in the end .. return policy doesn't matter as much as the initial health of the fish to begin with .. if the fishes are healthy and thriving .. and you took good care of them .. you wouldn't have to return them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Considering most people on aquabid only give you an hour and don't refund sick fish that will die a week later, the two weeks seems great doesn't it xD
1 hr is actually a nice time period .. one of the transshippers only allows 15 minutes counting from express delivery drop off at your house .. to the time you e-mail them that it's DOA and have to have pictures with the bag unopened time stammped within 15 mins .. it's just crazy when i thought about it .. lol it would take me 10 minutes just to open the box ..

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 10-05-2011 at 04:35 PM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #10 
Indyfishy

I LOVE MY PETSMART!!!! haha sorry, but i really do!! The fish there are sooooo much prettier and healthier than our local petco. I got a crowntail from petco last year simply because all the other fish were sick or dead, and i knew he would end up the same way. All the fish were covered in fuzz and their water smelled, and the cashier was HIGH!!!!!!! It was ridiculous, I hope I never have to go back in that store ever again. But my petsmart is the exact opposite, the fish are always healthy and active, and the employees are very knowledgable about bettas =) They have some realllyyyyyyyy cool colors too!! So far, I've seen a pink (like bubblegum pink!!) butterfly double tail plakat, a green monster marble plakat, the most amazing butterfly veiltails, several copper dragon halfmoons, red dragon plakats, a little yellow butterfly dragon halfmoon, and of course, my orange halfmoon ;) The only really memorable fish I ever saw at petco was a super red doubletail halfmoon, he was pretty awesome!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote