Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #21 
KatsFishies

Petsmart is way better. Petco has bad managment bad quality bettas, well all fish. There small animals have horrible gross cages. I just HATE petco. There is a petsmart 1 hour away from me so I dont go there all that often, but everytime I have gone there I have had good experience. But my favorite petstore is PetWorks. Its a local petstore to me whois amazimg. Been here for like 40 years. They used to have a monkey!:) Any hoo thats my thought on them!:)
KatsFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #22 
Littlebittyfish

It depends on who is working there at the time...Sometimes my local petsmart is better...sometimes not...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

I like my Petsmart, too. They take pretty good care of their animals. The only thing is I can't tell what the real color of the bettas are because of the stupid blue water. I know what it is and why they use it but I don't like it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #24 
SnowySurface

The Petco near me isn't too bad. The bettas are still in those tiny cups but the water is pretty clean. There is the occasional poop at the bottom of some cups, but that looks likes the amount a fish would do in a day or two. Those cups should be changed twice a day because of the size, but I would guess the water changes are at least every other day if not everyday. So the fish from there are pretty healthy. There will always be the occasional stress disease since they are constantly bothered by customers and kids. But all and all my Petco does a pretty good job.

The other types of fish also seem to be housed properly. But I can't tell as well as I can with Bettas if their care really is good. It just seems like they school the fish properly wihtout stuffing the tanks. Unless it's the Guppy tank. Guppies get screwed over in terms of care for some reason.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #25 
Silverfang

The petsmart that is near me seems to be good. I've only noticed like one fish that was sick, and when pointed out she said she would take her out back to be treated (I hope...).

The big tanks look sparkling, most of the dead fish I saw were after new fish arrived. Other than that a couple of shrimps are all I've seen.

Now the betta cups.... I had to adjust them to clean un blue water before I let them into a temporary home. Of course having to change the water in 100 cups would be beyond time consuming.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #26 
Okami

I think it all boils down to the employees.

The pet-co near me used to be terrible. But the guys who knew nothing quit and actual hobbiests were hired. They now have photo competitions and Aquarium clubs. They also stock and care for more unusual species even Brakish ones like Monos. So I go with Petco
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #27 
bettarainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I like my Petsmart, too. They take pretty good care of their animals. The only thing is I can't tell what the real color of the bettas are because of the stupid blue water. I know what it is and why they use it but I don't like it.
I totally agreed with you Dramaqueen, i dont know how many times i told those people who work at petsmart that they need to use clear water instead that blue thing, i can't even see their coloration. I still dont understand how they work, they put blue in the ct and vt but the dragon scale and hm are clear water. Petsmart and petco are all about business, selling their products as much as they can.
I went to Fresno few days ago and i saw a bunch of dead betta and half dead in a shelf far away from everyone. Next time i see something like that, i will take a picture. We have to do something about it.
bettarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #28 
bettarainbow

Regarding petco betta, yesterday i went to petco with my sis to get some plants and i saw a big mess in the betta shelf. In the containers that said ct, i look at the fish and that was not a ct but a hm inside, then same thing with other lids.
When i told the petco staff, he said yea, customers make the mess, they switch the lids so they will pay the betta cheaper.
I asked him, are you going to clean that mess, he told me he doesn't have time.
So, i decided to try if the cashier will notice the difference or not. I took a hm container but the lid say ct. I brought to the cashier, she didnt look what kind of fish, she just scan and i paid a hm for the price of a ct.
You can tell that either they dont know or they dont care about their products.
bettarainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #29 
Okami

Wow....just wow if i want a betta and want to rip off pet co i know what to do
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #30 
carzz

Petco for fish! Petsmart for meds! :) petco have beautiful bettas And the store is clean, and the WATER is clean too!! :o!! Petsmart, you think you are buying a blue betta, it turns out to be som funky red thing :( the water is sooo blue and dirty! :(
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote