Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #1 
emeraldsky

Cheaper Alternatives?

I'm hoping to start a lovely sorority in my 50g tank and while I have enough to get the stuff I have to have, like heater and all that, I may be coming up a bit short on decorations/plants.

So I'm hoping there may be some cheaper alternatives, like I've seen people use coffee mugs and Terracotta pots, instead though pet store caves and stuff and I like the look of those, I've even heard of PVC pipe? Are there any other things I could use?

Also, how would one determine something is fish safe? I have a figurine I'd love to put in my tank but it wasn't originally made for fish so I dont know if it could be harmful.

I'd also heard live plant were amazing for tanks, though I've never had one before. Would this be a good thing to look into and what type of plant would be good for a plant newb?
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post

So I'm hoping there may be some cheaper alternatives, like I've seen people use coffee mugs and Terracotta pots, instead though pet store caves and stuff and I like the look of those, I've even heard of PVC pipe? Are there any other things I could use?

I've heard people use many things such as built legos .. hamster cage corners (those knob things that connect hamster tunnels).. i've used glass tea-light holders (that i turned upside down and it has 2 holes in it) .. some people use small glass vases turned sideways .. or built their own caves with rocks and aquarium silicon glue

Also, how would one determine something is fish safe? I have a figurine I'd love to put in my tank but it wasn't originally made for fish so I dont know if it could be harmful.

Aq safe items .. generally .. are glass, ceramic, bpa free plastics (food grade plastics), silk (flowers plants) .. do not have any dyes, paints, perfumes, small parts that could come off after being submerged or has small parts that could be eaten .. a good way to test this is to pre soak the item you want in de-chlorinated water for a few months and see how it withstands to being submerged .. no sharp or rough edges that could cut fishes (use the pantie hose test) .. and i'd stay away from metals .. even if it's stainless steal

figurines would be a tough call (depending on what kind of figurine it is .. solid inside .. hallow .. has moving parts .. etc) .. since it's hard to determine what paints were used .. and what kind of plastic it's made out of .. there are many variables to consider

I'd also heard live plant were amazing for tanks, though I've never had one before. Would this be a good thing to look into and what type of plant would be good for a plant newb?

i would agree live plants are great for tanks. i'd start with some low light plants like a moss ball (not a plant .. is an algae ball .. but is a great to have it's low maintenance) .. or anubius(sp?) .. or those lucky bamboo stalks (just make sure the leaves are outside of the tank) .. there are a few more .. refer to plant guide made by pewpewpew =D
^_^ good luck
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 
emeraldsky

Thank you so much for all the information, I really appreciate it! :D

Wow, I had no idea you could use all that stuff, I look forward to getting creative since I have a lot of room to cover X)

I definitely will be staying away from metals, I was contemplating a metal like shelf to put plants on since everything I have is short and its covered in some sort of plastic so there isnt any exposed metal or sharp edges. Decided against it though, better safe than sorry.

I was looking at the moss balls, they seem perfect to start with :)
Especially since they move I guess?

I wanted to replant my bamboo in my tank since it's getting too tall for its pot but I dont think it's leaves are high enough. Oh well, guess I'll let it grow out some more ;)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

it's defiantly a lot of fun when you DIY your aq toys and decos ^_^ .. i can't wait to see pictures of your creations !!

my moss balls never move =( .. it might be because i don't have any water current in my tanks at all .. but they are known to float sometimes .. maybe they do when i'm not looking @_@
Old 10-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #5 
emeraldsky

I know, I cant wait to get it going, I hope to get everything set up today or tomorrow then get everything prepped and cycled before I got fish shopping.

Though I'm going to Petco today and it'll be my first time looking at girls so I hope none catch my eye before I get my tank set up :( I'll have to get her a temporary tank then LOL

ooooo sneaky moss ball! XD
I'm still unsure if I want one or if I'll break down and get a anubia since I think those are super pretty. I'll have to set my tank up first and see how it goes ;)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

sounds like a good plan !! =D

good luck at petco!! *crosses fingers for you*
Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

I didnt know how I would like the whole coffee cup thing but I actually think it looks kinda cool

Walmart has rainbow caves in different shapes for $2 I have 5, 4 in my sorority tank and one in two different males tanks, (one of the sorority caves isnt a rainbow walmart one) my girls love them and each one kinda takes over one as if it was their "house"

live plants can be pricey =/ it was 30 just to fill a 5 gallon for me.

Last edited by MaggieLynn; 10-05-2011 at 06:59 PM.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #8 
MaggieLynn

Here are my tanks with the coffee cup just so you can see if you like it or not.
Attached Images

MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 
emeraldsky

@HatsuneMiku

thank you!
Im hoping to find a nice sale on plants or something thatll help with the costs X)

@MaggieLynn

that is expensive for plants, I was hoping to get fake plants and some real ones and hopefully take out the fake ones as the real ones grew some more. There's no way I can feasibly fill a 50 gallon tank of live plants right off the bat x.x

I actually really like to coffee cups, I collect tea cups myself so I might be adding those to my tank. Some of the cups are deep and I love the patterns on all of them so I think it'll look really nice c:

I love your tanks!
I hope I can find some natural looking or black substrate, I have some black gravel from my last tank but its mixed with rainbow rocks that I dont want now. Hope I dont have to go through and pick them all out LOL
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #10 
Thunderloon

When looking for neat stuff to put in aquariums keep the newborn and baby hand toys in mind for ornamentation.

I managed to snag a couple http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...%3Daps&x=0&y=0 at Walmart, they sink well and I have them in some boys' tanks as a place for them to sit in the flow. Goat has passed now but his way of telling my wife to play with him was to charge around the tank a couple times then sit in the middle of his while staring at her. (infant oball)

And this would be fun to poke into the bottom and spread the rings standing around the bottom of the tank: http://www.amazon.com/garanimals-tex...866935&sr=8-31 I'm very tempted to get one when I set up my next sorority, just to see if girls have color preferences. I know they can see color as I constantly have fights or friendships between girls of the same color.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, decoration, sorority