Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #11 
emeraldsky

Oh those balls are super neat :O
I would love to have a few of those in my tank, I'll be sure to get some!

I never thought about getting different colored things such as those, I was hoping to go for a subtle toned tank so the girls can be shown off more, but it seems that colors might be better for them c:
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #12 
HatsuneMiku

ooo those balls are cool !! ..

side note .. just make sure that the holes of the caves or whatever you put in there is at least a quarter size big .. so no one gets fin snagged or stuck =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #13 
MaggieLynn

I wanted to get moss balls but they were expensive at my petco, I wanna say 14-17 bucks, im not sure which. Also i ended up getting ride of my live plants because this gross algae grew and so i took them out cleaned the whole tank with vinegar and aq salt and the algae is still there clouding the water =/ I would have to say in my tanks i love the all green plants with the blue cream pitcher thing. I know petsmart is where I go for plants because walmart has a scarce selection and petco is alil steep, but petco atleast mine is getting a huge selection of silk plants.
since you are starting a sorority I would say buy a cave for each female or something I have my girls in a 10 gallon and have 4 caves and a tone of plants I almost thought there was too much.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #14 
emeraldsky

@HatsuneMiku

Most definitely!
I'm being super paranoid about this since it's my first sorority, I dont want any major mistakes D:

@MaggieLynn
I didnt see the prices of the moss balls at my petsmart when I went today, but there was one that was bigger than my fist! :O I didnt know they could get that big!
Im still iffy about getting real plants, the guy at petsmart said I shouldnt mix real and fake plants together since the bettas will chew on the fake plants and get sick. Ive never heard of that happening but I'm still pretty newbish in this.

Course he also said I could put a male in with my sorority and I know you cant do that >.>

And I do plan on getting each girl a special cave, Im actually getting a different tank too! Im getting a 40g long tank since my 50g is a taller type so Ill have more swimming area for my girls 8D
Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #15 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Im still iffy about getting real plants, the guy at petsmart said I shouldnt mix real and fake plants together since the bettas will chew on the fake plants and get sick. Ive never heard of that happening but I'm still pretty newbish in this.
i've never heard of a story of a betta chewing on a fake plant and getting sick .. @_@ .. my bettas don't eat the plants in their tanks or even see them as food .. even when i fast them .. they don't eat the plants ..

tho one of them did take a bite out of the betta bulb plant (i duno what the official name is on those) on accident .. cus i was feeding him and one of his pellets got to close to an leaf .. and he nom the pellet and the leaf .. and there was a nice bite mark on the plant .. lol .. nothing happened to him .. he didn't even notice he had ate the plant .. he didn't spit it out or anything .. just nom nom.. i'm sure he just got a mouthful of fibers and he's like bleah yuck LOL .. now i don't feed him at that corner where the plants are .. =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #16 
quyllur

I don't really see how mixing live and fake plants would cause a carnivorous fish to attempt to eat plastic.... I think you're petsmart employee is just spreading misinformation. Lots of people have bettas with plastic plants without mishap, mixing in a few live ones shouldn't pose any problems.
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #17 
emeraldsky

@HatsuneMiku

Thats pretty much what I was thinking, Ive been lurking this forum nonstop for the past week trying to get as much info as I can before starting and I assumed I would have seen SOMETHING about it beforehand.

lol XD
Ill have to be careful about where in the tank I feed them c:

@quyllur
Yes thats what I was thinking ^^
Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #18 
dbockrath

I have a enormous pothos in my living room window. I've read I can use cuttings from it in my aquarium. I'm not sure how to do that, though.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #19 
Luimeril

i'm pretty cheap when it comes to anything. all my plants are second-hand, and when it comes to caves, not many of my bettas like them. for the two that did, one was a fish bowl, turned on it's side. the other, is one of these:

the thing with the blue rocks in it. it's a Renuzit Crystal Elements thing. it held scented rocks. i sterilized it, washed it at least five times with scalding water, then a few more times with aq salt and scalding water. Ichi LOVES it, and is forever swimming around in it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #20 
MistersMom

something i did thats super cheep was, i got a plastic cup and cut a hole in the bottom and on oppisite sides, i also am using a mug, but with the cup make surt that there are NO sharp edges because they can cut up your fins on your little cuties!!!!!!!! and i ike so scoop a tad of gravel into the mug to make it lookmore in place, like, set it in then scoop a tiny bit in there, i have gravel... :( for my 10 gal) i like the way the mugs look. i also went to walmart and got little cubbys, like the shark and funky fish, for my other bettas to use for when the want to hid in something. my mister sleeps in his lastic cup everynight, i put the rim down and stuck some fake grass in it, so when he's in there he has a place to hide, any way now that im done with my novel. lol. good luck.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, decoration, sorority