Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #21 
emeraldsky

@dbockrath
Im sorry, I dont know how to do that either D:

@Luimeril
I have a feeling I'm going to be like that too X3
I'm raiding my house later today, and possibly a second hand shop thats downtown to find betta appropriate stuff so I can get started on sterilizing it and all that ^^

@MistersMom
Im also planning on having gravel, I have some from the first time my tank was set up and I just cant afford sand D:
Im definitely going to out cups in my tank, specifically tea cups ;) I hope I can find some cheap grass for cheap, I love how that looks in tanks :O
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #22 
MistersMom

look at my tanks i my album, i dont have any recent ones fo youi to see of my mug and plastic cup, but you can still see it.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #23 
Luimeril

check second hand shops for mugs, bowls, i even used a candle holder for a cave once.... i can't find pictures of it right now, but i'm sure i have one somewhere. if you have a facebook, check out these two. they're my Renuzit cave and my bowl cave:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8554713&type=3
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8554713&type=3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #24 
emeraldsky

@MistersMom

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to check albums, I just joined the forum 2 days ago and I'm still blindly making my way through it X)

@Luimeril
I have a bowl just like the one in the second picture! :O
Used to keep a betta in there before I knew better ^^;
Old 10-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #25 
Luimeril

i got the bowl with Lulu, my huge PK gal. she wasn't tiny, but mom wanted me to hurry up, so i just grabbed a bowl and bought her with it. i used to keep my Java moss and one tiny RCS in it for a while, then thought Zidane would like it. and, he did. he'd build huge bubble nests in it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #26 
emeraldsky

@Luimeril
I had a male in there for awhile, but he wasnt very healthy, I ended up ungrading him to a bigger tank but it was still too small from what they are supposed to have ;A;

I'll have to bring it out for this tank though, it'll be nice getting some use out of it again and actually be able to use the bowl properly LOL
Old 10-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #27 
dbockrath

I got some anachris at Petsmart last week, I think 2 bunches for about $6.00. The clerk suggested planting some and letting a few branches just float on top. I checked Buddy last night, and he was sleeping in the floating anachris. He looked so cute.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #28 
Myates

I found see -through colored plastic 8oz cups at my local grocery store one day and picked up a couple of those. One of my boys absolutely loves them. He sleeps in them and constantly swimming up against them.
A cheap place for plants is discount pet supply, the plastic plants start around a $1, silk are very cheap too.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #29 
emeraldsky

@dbockrath
That sounds adorable!
I hope I can get my tank set up with some as well c:

@Myates
Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to check those out!
I think I'll be going with the terracotta pots, I love the way those look!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #30 
quyllur

I just recently set up a 20 gallon long.

I wanted to do sand so I read up and saw lots of people using play or pool filter sand for there tanks. I liked the look of the pool filter sand so I picked up a BIG bag for about $15. I did about 1.5-2 inches of sand and still have over half the bag. I personally like the look of it better than gravel and I'm going to be adding cories to my tank so it was more appropriate. (Also cheaper than acquiring enough aquarium gravel). You just need to rinse it for a bit in a bucket to get out the dust and you may have to do a water change or two once it's in the tank to get rid of any leftover cloudiness.

For plants, I was going to go mainly silk plants with a few real plants scattered. I'm doing a sorority as well so I would need a lot of plants. I discovered that compared to actually buying all of those silk plants, getting the live, low-light, low maintenance plants is actually cheaper. Plus if I want to set up more or bigger tanks in the future I can use clippings from what I've already got to get it going. For plants I got some corkscrew vallisneria, java fern, moneywort, wisteria and water sprite, and then when I picked up my girls from the breeder he gave me a clump of this floating water lettuce like plant which is doing rather well. Also, I absolutely love the look of all the different leaf shapes and whatnot and my tank looks much nicer and more natural than it would have with fake plants.

Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck with your tank, I aspire to a 50 gallon one day but I'll stick with my 20 Long for now.
quyllur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative, decoration, sorority