Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes, Top Fin 50 watt
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Around 5 pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% or 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner and Plant Gro

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He stays at the bottom of the tank a majority of the time now with clamped fins.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put in a heater in his tank since yesterday for the Fall and Winter seasons. I turned up the heat to 82.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, he has always been a very healthy fish.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for a year. I don't know his approximate age but I bought him when he was an adult so I assume he is anywhere from 1.5-3 years old.

About 2 days ago I realized Moe has been laying on the bottom of the tank with clamped fins some times, other times with fully functioning fins. Since yesterday I installed a new heater (at 82 degrees) in his tank and did a 100% water change. Today he seems a tiny bit better but still acting lethargic. He has been eating just fine so far, he still eats all of his pellets. Though, it sometimes takes him a bit longer to get to the surface or a little extra nudging for him to move from the bottom of his tank. I would like to know how to help him get better or if this is what naturally happens to bettas in old age. I don't know if bettas show old age like other animals do.

Last edited by penamnesia; 10-05-2011 at 04:36 PM.
penamnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 
penamnesia

And here are some pics of Moe's tank for some clarity. He is laying in the back of his ferns, I don't think he's visible in the pictures.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well.....

How did you re-acclimate him to the tank after the 100% water change.....

I wouldn't recommend 100% with live plants........

Be sure and make 50% water changes before you add more plant food as a general rule.......

To understand-this is a 5gal filtered/planted tank that you make 50 and 100% water changes every 2 weeks....correct......

Right now-I would make another 50% water change and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank and lower the water temp to the 78-80F range over the next few hours....you don't want to lower it too fast....but you can lower it by a couple of degrees with the water change....to about 80F.....

Lovely tank by the way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #4 
penamnesia

Thanks for the advice oldfishlady. Now it seems as though things are worse. He isn't really eating much today and he is less mobile than he was yesterday. :/
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

How did you re-acclimate him to the tank after the 100% water change....it may be osmotic shock.....sadly not a lot can be done.....however, since he is worse...I would get him in small QT container with a low water level and add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-make the water as dark as you can-place in dark quiet location...good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote