Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #1 
fleetfish

I hate seeing skinny bettas.

I really, really do.

I was at Big Al's this morning because I wanted to pick up a hydor heater, went to the betta section all they had were some very sickly looking ones .... Some were heads on sticks they were so thin. It just made me so sad that I nearly left the minute I saw them, but I watched one little green marble delta fella more than the others, and slowly fell in love with him. He was trying to move around in his little cup, and every time he did he would look back at me. He was almost begging to be taken home. I got him for a quarter of what they'd usually sell deltas and HMs for, but the fish guy must have known that or he just didn't notice I'd switched lids. ;)

He needs a lot of TLC. Like tons. He's very, very thin and his fins look tattered and brittle. I want him to be healthy again so badly because I know he'll be a stunner. He's currently in a 1g container. I'm watching him to see how he acts, since he might have internal parasites. At least he's not clamped or anything .... Just emaciated. I am keeping my hopes up for him. He'll get mostly frozen foods for now, just to get some bulk on him, and sparingly, only until he builds up some metabolism.

Anyone else have to deal with emaciated bettas? And if you have, are there any tips you can share?

Last edited by fleetfish; 10-04-2011 at 11:40 AM.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #2 
Myates

Sounds like you have the right plan, small amounts each meal, spread out throughout the day. I would throw in pellets too if he will eat them right now since they have other nutrients needed that sometimes frozen doesn't offer. I love green marbles, so my heart goes out to this guy. Keep us posted on how he is doing, and show some pics if you can too =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 
sarahbeth1976

Awwww. This post both made me wanna cry{skinny, starving little betta boy} and at the end I smiled. I am glad you rescued him....please keep me updated on his care & progress. Has he a name yet?
sarahbeth1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #4 
MistersMom

Awwwe. i think that stores shouldn't order so many, they wont all get sold and the 1's tht dont get sold die, they never get fed or new water, my friends mom works at walmart and said so her self. i asked why shw doesn't do it herself and she said bcause a certain person is suppose to be back there doing that, i almost screamed at her. i hate when they have such little bodies that their heads weight them down.... poor things. i wish i had a million $'s i'd buy every betta and they would each have a 10 gal tank with a heater and nice decor and i'd sell them, tank and all for 30$... thats a good deal. but i don't so i can't... poor fishies.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #5 
fleetfish

I'll definitley keep everyone updated with pics on his progress. I think he's a fighter, and I'm quite relieved that he's eaten a pellet! No name yet, but he'll tell me soon :)
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #6 
fleetfish

Pic!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #7 
MistersMom

you should name him Mystery....
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #8 
sarahbeth1976

How about naming him " Lucky". he is one very lucky Betta boy.

I hate how inhumanly Wal-mart trewats theiir bettas. I can't go in there & look...it literally makes me cry. If I had the space & money I'd rescue each & every little soul.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #9 
fleetfish

I know how you feel ... it's hard to look at sickly bettas. I apologized to every one of them today because they wouldn't find homes or know what a warm, heated tank and lots of yummy food would feel like.

Last edited by fleetfish; 10-04-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #10 
sarahbeth1976

O my gosh , that made me cry.....those poor betta boys. :O(

I hate WalMart