Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Sudden Death... Help me save the last 4.

I don't know what is going on. Yesterday when I checked my girls were just fine and today I came home to three dead girls, three on deaths door, and only one that seems ok (for now?). Four of my neon tetras are dead as well.

Tank specs:

29 gallon, live plants, just set up on Sunday (Oct 2nd). Filtration is air driven sponge filter (new).

Temp is 78*

Water params:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

Haven't tested the pH or Hardness yet.

Symptoms:

All the girls were fine yesterday when I fed and turned the lights off at 9pm. When I checked just now (around 5:50pm) I found the dead fish.

The live girls have some sort of fungus around their heads that is clouding their eyes. The worst girl is black on 75% of her body, including her fins. She has some sort of whitish fungus growing on her body between her dorsal and caudal fin. Her mouth has degraded or something.. it looks deformed and there's fungus on there as well.

I'll get pictures in a bit.

Treatment so far:

Pulled all 4 remaining girls into separate cups. I'm about to prepare an aquarium salt bath for the 3 sick girls and put the 4th seemingly ok girl into a QT with salt and aquarisol.

I went to petsmart and got meds. Right now I have Jungle Fungus Clear, Maroxy, General Cure, Erythromycin, Tetracycline, Marycn 1 and 2. I'm not sure which ones I should try.

I don't know what to do. I'm so upset right now. I've never seen anything like this before.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Pictures:

Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 
Campbell

I'm sorry. I know its upsetting. I'm probably going to be wrong, but I'll offer up what I found.
They all look pretty beat up, so could they be the victims of bullying? I found an article about some cichlids turning black from internal bleeding. However, bunch of sites said internal bleeding causes redness usually in the gills. Maybe since the fish was dead the color darkened? This theory doesn't explain the fungus though... but it would explain why one gal could be fine.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Your blue girl looks like she has that unidentified rot. It seems like it strikes only blue fish (or at least a majority of them are blue from the victims posted on here). Honestly that might explain the suddenness of the others' deaths if they turned black as well. I'd go with an antifungal medication or combine maracyn 1 and 2.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 
vaygirl

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76747
Just so people can see what Pataflafla is talking about.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76747
Just so people can see what Pataflafla is talking about.
I was just trying to find that one. thanks for finding it faster than me.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I doubt it was bullying. These fish were all healthy and happy last night. These girls have been together for a while prior to this tank and were having no issues besides the occasional flare. Their fins were not as torn up as the blue girl is now.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I agree, the blue girl looks like that mystery disease. The best theory we've come up with is medication that treats a gram neg infection. I've never had to treat with any medication, but I think t he Maracyn 1,2 combo might be the way to go. There was another thread if I could find it with a bit more information.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #9 
Trobar

Doesn't seem like betta related to me, the tetra's died too. I wish you the best for your remaining fish. Could it have something to do with the new tank set up?
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #10 
Silverfang

Sakura would be a good one to ask when she gets on.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote