Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 
bettachick

Lumps on Body...possible tumor?

Hello all. I'm hoping someone here can help me with one of my female bettas. I've had her since she was an egg, and up 'till now she's always been very healthy. I was actually conditioning her for an F2 generation spawn when the problem developed, and I'm hoping there's a cure, but I have a feeling she may have cancer or something... :(

About 2 weeks ago, while I was in the process of conditioning this female for spawning, she developed small lumps on both sides of her body, just behind her stomach. I thought it might be bloating due to the conditioning, so I switched her back to regular feeding. The lumps have gotten bigger since then, and I don't think it's bloating, because I stopped feeding her 3 days ago and the problem persists. She hasn't changed her activity at all, and if it weren't for the lumps I would say she's perfectly healthy. I'll try to provide as much information as possible:

Housing
- 10 gallon tank, no gravel
- temperature is kept at 78 degrees F
- no filter
- there are two sibling males in the tank with her, all separated by dividers; the males show no signs of sickness whatsoever

Maintenance
- 100% water changes once a week, 1 25% water change mid-week
- water is conditioned with Nutrafin AquaPlus
- 1 tsp. aquarium salt is added to every 2.5 gallons

Water Parameters:
- Ammonia has been tested for and is not present
- pH is pretty much exactly 7.0

Food
While I was conditioning her, I fed:
-frozen bloodworms, live whiteworms, live brine shrimp, and pellets
-she would be fed twice a day
Once the problem developed, I switched to normal feeding:
-pellets in the morning, frozen bloodworms on occasion; 1 fasting day each week where nothing would be fed
-for the last 3 days she has been fed nothing

Symptoms and Treatment
- has fairly large lumps on either side of her body; the lump is noticeably larger on one side than on the other side
- lumps are internal and are reddish-purple in colour (almost looks like bruising)
- does not look like dropsy; her scales aren't flared
- the fish's behaviour has not changed at all; she is swimming fine, eating normally, very active, flares and gains vertical stripes in response to the males, fins are not clamped, and her gills are moving at a normal rate
- the lumps were first noticed approx. 2 weeks ago
- I have not treated the fish with anything
- this fish has never been ill before, and I've had her since she was an egg
- a little over 1 year old

One other thing I should mention...I bred this female about a month and a half ago from today. The spawn wasn't successful because the male turned out to be a fry-eater. I was in the process of conditioning her for spawning with a different sibling male when the lumps developed. I'm not sure if the previous spawning would have anything to do with this, but I thought I should mention it just in case.

Here is a link to some pictures. She looks a bit pale here, but it's just because I finished with a 100% water change and she tends to lose her colours for an hour or so.
http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/t...k/Fish%20Pics/
bettachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

o__O That looks like a tumor to me.
I honestly am not sure if tumors are treatable. You can PM Darkmoon though, she's very helpful ^^. I'll try to bring people to help you. I'm sorry about your girl! I hope she gets better :<
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 
Campbell

Hmm, it may very well not be, but go ahead and google lymphocystis. See if it sounds similar to what you are seeing.The only reason it comes to mind is because I just had a fish diagnosed with it, and the symptoms sound similar. Its a virus that is usually just cosmetic. Kind of like warts in humans... It can be white, pink, or red depending on concentration of blood in the area.

Here are some pics:

Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

^ AH! Thanks so much for adding, Campbell!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #5 
bettachick

Thanks for your help. It's hard to tell, but it might be lymphocystis. I'll look into it some more. If it is, it would be a relief; it looks like lymphocystis isn't fatal and goes away after the lump bursts.
I'll cling to any possibility that it's not a fatal tumor...
Again, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

And I'll pm Darkmoon, thanks youlovegnats.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #6 
Silverfang

OFL (oldfishlady) is another good person to speak to, she is the guru of all things betta
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #7 
Myates

Any consideration it is internal parasites? Feeding live food increases the risk of something entering the body. Poor little girl =(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #8 
bettachick

Myates: I considered that, but I had a fish with an internal parasite a few years ago. I remember that he ate a ton of food and kept getting skinnier and skinnier. And his fins were clamped. This one doesn't seem to be losing weight and her fins aren't clamped, so I'm inclined to think it's something else. But I will keep the possibility in mind.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #9 
youlovegnats

It *might* be parasites...but the OP said that her behavior is fine. Usually with parasites doesn't the fish "flash" (jerky swimming behavior)?

This is what I found on Lymphocytis: " Lymphocystis is a non lethal virus disease that can infect most aquarium fish. The disease is rare and most aquarist will never have any problems with it. The disease is caused by a virus and can only infect your fish if it is introduced to your aquarium. The risk of introducing this virus as well as other diseases can be reduced by keeping new fish in quarantine for a few weeks before adding them to the general population. It is also recommended to never add waters from other aquariums to your aquarium as this can introduce disease if you are unlucky. The Lymphocystis virus and other fish diseases can also be introduced with live food and avoiding feeding live food or only feeding home cultivated live food can therefore further reduce the risk of Lymphocystis and other diseases.
The Lymphocystis virus causes small white swellings on fins and bodies of infected fish. There is no cure for this disease but most fish recover from the disease by themselves. This makes Lymphocystis one of the least serious diseases that your fish can be infected by. Your main concern if you discover Lymphocystis in your aquarium should be containment as there is no cure. Move all sick fish to recuperation/hospital tanks. Keep the fish there until they have recovered 100%. It is true that the disease usually isn't fatal and that the fish usually recover but this doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to contain the disease as the temporarily lowered health status of the infected fish can open the door for other more dangerous diseases."
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/dise...mphocystis.php
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #10 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Any consideration it is internal parasites? Feeding live food increases the risk of something entering the body. Poor little girl =(
I thought of that too. However, an infected fish will often not eat. Still very possible though.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote