Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #1 
Torirs

Help- Fish hasn't moved nor eaten for weeks!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5-2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hasn't eaten in over a month- but bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? was daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water treatment

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? betta fix, betta revive
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7 mo.
Torirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #2 
Greenapp1es

OK - I'm seeing a couple of things wrong here.

Firstly, you're not doing enough water changes. In a 1.5-2 gallon tank, you should be changing you water multiple times per week. Ammonia and other waste builds up quickly in a small tank, so a small tank needs frequent water changes to offset. I would recommend changing your water change schedule to add 2 50% water changes in the week in ADDITION to your 90-100% as your tank is unfiltered. I would also suggest changing your water condidtioner to Seachem Prime (if you're not using it already) as it will bind ammonia into it's harmless form for 24 hours. Dose 2 drops per gallon when conditioning water, and add 2 drops per gallon directly to the tank on days you *don't* perform a water change.

Secondly, I'm assuming the bloodworms are freeze-dried? These are great for a treat, but have very little nutrition otherwise. You would need to get a high quality pellet for your guy. New Life Spectrum or Omega One Betta Pellets are what are generally recommended here.

Can you post a picture? That would give us a better idea of what state your guy is currently in.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #3 
Torirs

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #4 
Torirs

I will change the water more frequently and will start introducing pellets but as I said, he hasn't eaten in a very long time.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #5 
Greenapp1es

Fish can go a long time without eating, but your boy is starting to show the effects that not eating is having.

Definitely start with water changes.

Look for a high quality pellet, but at this point frozen (and thawed) food might be a better bet. It would be easier to digest. Maybe try some *THAWED FROZEN* bloodworms and\or mysis shrimp.

Has he been pooping? *WAS* he pooping early on in the not-eating setup? Were his last poops normal? Have you found anything suspicious in his tank? Basically, I'm looking to rule out the possibility of parasites.
Greenapp1es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #6 
Torirs

I hadn't noticed any poop for a while.. His color is good. This all started when the temperature in the tank fluctuated for a few days- I had a slime heater but the temperature dropped to low 70's so I used a heater but it raised the temperature too quick. I bought one that worked and his temperature has been consistent since..