Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #1 
SassyBetta

Exclamation is 82 too hot?

i got a 3 gallon tank im gona use for a betta girl here soon , i got one of those betta bowl heaters and it made the tank too hot. so i exchanged it for a marine land 10 W heater for up to 3 galllons, says its pre set for 78 but my tanks at like 82 now?? is that to high for a one lone betta? plz help i need to get a good heater for such a small tank ,,,,>>>>???????
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

Its not bad. That's the temp I prefer to breed at actually.

Let me ask you a question. What type of light bulb is on your tank? Also where is your thermometer in relation to your heater? One last one... Is your tank filtered and where is your heater in relation to your filter in take?

Any one of those can affect your temp reading. If you have an incandecent bulb that will put off tons of heat and raise the temp of the tank. If your getting poor circulation of water it can be causing heat pockets which can cause high temps in one spot and lower in another.

its not a bad temp though.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #3 
Miyazawa

I suggest the elite 25W heater by Hagen (you can find it on amazon). It works like a charm.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #4 
Larsa

that temp should be fine! :) Its very warm and ideal since Bettas like it about 75F-85F. Just watch the thermometer and make sure it doesnt get too hot, as in, upper 80's or 90's! o.o I know you are gonna post pics of your new girl, am I right? ;P
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #5 
SassyBetta

lol ok here we go to replaying ....

ok no the take has no light it never came with a hood cuz it was so small, also i havnt got a filter for it yet cuz the tank in literaly so short and i havnt found one yet that would work, and the heater since their is no filter is in the middle of the tank so the heat reaches both sides lol,, pics below and YES :) im gona take lotts of pics of my lil girl once i make sure her tank is tip top shape for her, so about another week, depending on the cost of the filter if i can find a very small one um also in the pics ur gona see lol i know i need another plant atlease and im gona get the gravel when i get my girl so i know they look good togeather LOL

ok so heres some pics of the tank size and what not.VVVVVVVVVVV
Attached Images

SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #6 
Princess Penny

I keep my bigger tank at 82 and my betta is doing great.
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

I personally think that it a little bit hot. I know that the warmer is the water the better flourish for the fungus. In the summer time i have 82*too and in the winter i have 76*. But in the summer time i try to change the water more often. So i think if you have 82* you need more water changes and make sure you take out all uneaten food don't let it sink to the bottom of the tank because it will dicompose and contaminate the water.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #8 
Miyazawa

Try the Tom mini internal filter. I think it will fit :)
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

I like to keep my tank at 82. My old man really appreciates the warmer water.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Warmer tanks aren't going to cause any issues as long as you do maintenance. In fact it's better to be warm than too cool since the fish's immune system will not be as good if left in cooler water.

Anyways.. It could just be that the lid is making it toasty warm in the tank. I wouldn't worry about it and you don't have to do any added water changes. On that size tank (2.5 right?) do one 100% and one 50% weekly and she should be just fine.

Just to make sure.. you are going to add some more plants or hiding spots right?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote