Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #1 
Aluyasha

Question Homemade tank hoods/lids?

So when I got Maxwell from a lady off of Craigslist she also gave me one of those 2.5 glass Petco tanks that come with nothing else but the glass tank itself.
I have been looking online and asking stores but it seems near impossible to find a hood/lid that fits this tank. So I was wondering, anyone make a homemade hood/lid for one of these 2.5 gallon tanks?
Best case I would like a light on it but I am open to any suggestions. :)
I just was thinking of getting another Betta and I have cats so an open tank is not an option.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #2 
doggyhog

I've always just used Plastic Canvas (The same material that you can make dividers out of). You can easily cut out the right shape.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #3 
Micho

Hrm, you could go to some hardware store that cuts glass and you could get the dimensions and ask them to cut the glass for you for a lid, but that might a bit tricky to open/close the lid. . .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #4 
mjoy79

I have 3 of those tanks. When I bought them at Petsmart they actually came with glass lids but there are no air holes in them so I dont use them. those lids came with a little handle to use to pick the lid up - too bad they didn't think to put air holes in it! I use the plastic canvas for those tanks. I cut holes for filter/heater and one in the front for easy lifting.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #5 
Foisair

That's what I have Beast in here at work. I use the glass lid that came with it as the cords for the heater and filter keep the back proped open a little allowing air in. I thought I saw a lighted hood for it somewhere on line when I was looking. I'll see if I can find it again for you.
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #6 
Aluyasha

Thank you for your suggestions everyone!
Unfortunatly all I have is the tank, no glass lid thing.
As for the plastic canvas, can I put a light over it? Or would it just melt?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #7 
BasilBetta87

I guess it would all depend on what bulb you'd be using in THIS hood. If you're gonna use a compact fluorescent bulb it shouldn't get too hot to melt the plastic.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote