Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #1 
Larsa

Popeye and bloatedness?

I gave Ryu a full water change a few days ago. A white ring appeared around his eyes recently. Is this popeye??

Tank: 2.5 filtered, unheated, conditioned with Prime ( 8 drops ).
Chem: all safe and normal- checked :p
Temp: 72F average
Food: NLS Betta pellets
Fish's age/gender: about 8 months
Eats: yes; 4 pellets a day
Water changes: 1 full and one 1/2 weekly. Last one on Oct 4th 2011.
Other: rests at bottom a bit more, slight swelling of tummy, still active and flares at reflection. Normally goes to the surface of the water to breathe. not recently had any illness.

I quarantined him in a small cup immedietly when I noticed this. He also looks sorta bloated and no sign of pineconing. If anyone sees anything indicating illness in the pictures below, please spot them out!! He has a red, purple, and brown marbled head which is normal. Im scared cuz sometime I see a dropsy fish with the same white ring. I plan on using a tsp of epsom salt along with a daily water change for his cup. He probably just has a minor popeye problem but I cant take any chances after I just lost my dear Natsuko and im still recovering from it :'(

thanks for any help!
Attached Images

Last edited by Larsa; 10-06-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #2 
Myates

I would go ahead and treat conservatively for pop eye. The belly looks just as if he had a good meal, but not bloated. But his eyes do look a little bigger then norm.

Popeye
•Symptoms: One or both eyes will swell and bulge out. It in itself can also be a symptom of Dropsy.
•Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn.

Good luck and keep us posted if anything changes.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #3 
Larsa

Thank you for your help! He is in a small cup ( like from the petstores ) maybe a tsp of epsom salt with every water change for 5 days or until recovery? I have Tetracycline if I need it, but hopefully I wont :p
Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #4 
Myates

1 tsp per 1 gallon of Epsom salt, you will always want to continue treatment a few days after symptoms are gone.. why it's usually 10-14 days recommended. You will have to do daily 100% water changes. Just use a gallon water jug to pre-mix to make the water changes quicker.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #5 
Larsa

o.0 I have a question... Ok so I gave all my bettas water changes like on the 3rd. I just went to feed them and now 6 outta my 8 bettas have that white ring around there eye!!!!! Could there be something in my sink water!??? I am using water conditioner-Prime, and everyone's water is fresh and clean. I only use bottled water to drink but I did drink some tap water earlier and it tasted really gross almost like what the smell of toilet water would taste like. :( I live in TX and we are having a drought so could some bacteria be in my water effecting all my fish!??? Do do full water changes once a week and at least one 1/2 change a week too.