Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #1 
kgs1992

I'm so frustrated!

Firstly, I'm really sorry I've been off the forum for so long!
I lost my black fish Sabbath sometime back and I didn't think I would wanna give advise to anyone on how to take care of their fish when I myself suck at it!

Now, this is gonna be a long post, so please bear with me while I go through the details.

Currently:

Housing

What size is your tank?
>15L or 4 Gal bowl.

What temperature is your tank?
>79-81F

Does your tank have a filter?
>No.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
>No.

Is your tank heated?
>No.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
>None.

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
>Pellets (Granules) & FD Bloodworms

How often do you feed your betta fish?
>5 granules a day (3 in the morning, 2 in the night). I feed him FD bloodworms once or twice a week (2 worms in the morning, 3 granules in the night.)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
>50% in the middle of the week, 100% every week.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
>Water conditioner that removes Chlorine, Chloramines, Ammonia & Nitrite.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
>No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
>Cloudy & slightly swollen eyes, clamped fins, slightly pale colour, reoccurring stress stripes.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
>Lays at the bottom (sometimes sideways), doesn't eat, rarely comes up (even for air), labored/heavy breathing.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
>These symptoms have been noticeable for the past few days.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
>Aquarium Salt (pre dissolved and then added), Mild fungicide+antibiotic (preventive dosage), General ectoparasitic medicine.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
>Yes, fin rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Been with me for say, 4-5 months, maybe a year and a half old.

Please, read further!

Zep came down with fin rot a month ago. Nasty as it was, he came through fine, without me having to medicate him (my luck!).
But a week ago, I noticed that his fins were still frayed. So, I added in some rock salt to help his fins grow back. He was fine for a day but then started darting and scratching himself on everything in the bowl & just laying at the bottom. When I shone a light on him, it seemed as though he had mild Ich or Velvet.
I waited a day or two and then started medicating him with the anti parasitic medicine. He only got worse from then on.
He spat most of his food out on the day I started his medication.
He stopped eating the next day but he no longer seemed to have anything shiny on his scales.
Yesterday, I noticed that his eyes were slightly swollen and cloudy. So, I did a 30% water change & added a mild antibiotic to help him get better (I feared he had contracted popeye thanks to all the stress he's being put through).
Today, he's been at the bottom lying sideways. He only moves if I put the net in or if I move the bowl.
I thought that the medication was wearing him down, so I replaced all the water and added only AQ salt and the mild antibiotic.
No improvements so far.

I really don't know what I should do! I'm very scared that I may lose him.
I'm unable to even diagnose what's wrong with him.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read through this!
I will try to put up pictures soon.
kgs1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #2 
Myates

So sorry to hear about Sabbath and now your other little guy =(

Everything you are doing sounds perfect in the way of taking care of him and his tank.
You said Ich or velvet.. they look completely different from one another.. Ich are white spots like grains of salt, velvet looks like gold/copper-ish coloring.
Velvet is very contagious.. so would treat the entire tank if it is that.

But with the swollen/cloudy eyes sounds as if it is popeye.

Lower his water to 3-4 inches so he can get to the top easier to breathe. Over medicating with the wrong medicines could cause a lot of trouble =( Why I always recommend the conservative route first.

I would recommend 1-2 tsp AQ salt per gallon, 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days. That will help with popeye and velvet if he has either. I would try that without any other medication right now.. the other medication could be causing him to get worse. If it doesn't help within a few days, I would possibly contact someone such as Sakura8 or Oldfishlady who may have other ideas. I wish you luck, and the best.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #3 
kgs1992

Thanks a lot for the advice. :)
I'll continue with the salt treatment.
I'll also add a preventive dosage of the antibiotic, since it's really mild and won't cause any harm.
Besides, he's under a lot of stress and his immunity is too low.

I'm attaching a few pics, they aren't very clear (my camera sucks), sorry about that.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome back and sorry you are having problems.......

I would change him over to Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-along with 100% daily water changes for 14 days.....place him in a small QT container-bare bottom-dim lit quiet location, temp 76-77F-cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth...

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or Oak leaf-let this steep for 30 min and use this premixed TX water for 50% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today and start 100% tomorrow for the next 14 days-he needs to say in this QT cup and water-

If you have access to mosquito larva offer some for one of the meals a day....feed small frequent meals of a good quality varied diet.....

I would stop all other medication/products at this point-sometimes a Betta can get toxic from overuse and its hard to tell if they are symptomatic to a pathogen/parasite or toxic and side-effects from medications...the Epsom salt will help clean the system, help with the popeye and any parasites.....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #5 
kgs1992

Thanks so much OFL, I will do that now.
Although I'm not sure where I can find IAL right now, I'll start with the Epsom salt.
I only hope I haven't cut his life short with the medicines! :(
I don't think I will be able to find mosquito larvae, can I try feeding him FD Daphnia instead?
And will a half gallon be too small or will it suffice?

Last edited by kgs1992; 10-06-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Half gallon will be fine or even something smaller....

Do you have Oak trees in your area.....I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves...12-18/gallon of treatment water...if not...just the Epsom salt will help....

The daphnia will be fine.....
Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #7 
kgs1992

Okay, so I've just shifted him to the half gallon.
I'm not sure about the Oak trees here either, Sometimes they have fungus on them.
I'll try to find IAL/ Oak leaves, and hope that the epsom salt will help him till then.
I'll also have to get the FD Daphnia.
He's not eaten for around 4 days now, will it be okay if I get the food by tomorrow or should I rush right now?
Thank you so much, I hope I can see my fish through this!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #8 
kgs1992

UPDATE: His fins have blackened at the edges. Seems like finrot has struck again! :(
Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #9 
kgs1992

UPDATE: He is now motionless lying sideways at the bottom of his bowl.
I put in the net close to him to check if he's still alive, but he didn't move a muscle.
His gills are not at all moving. I guess he's no longer with me. :(
I feel so responsible for what happened!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....don't blame yourself....stuff happens and often not a lot we can do....don't give up.......it sounded like he was a pretty sick Betta to start with and you did all you could do.....and that is all any of us can do......so don't beat yourself up about it......again sorry for your loss and sorry I couldn't be of more help....but sometimes there is nothing we can do-but provide the best care we can....And you did that......