Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 
BettAy Paige

Clear tank lid?

Hello! Sorry I haven't made a proper introduction yet, but I have been haunting this forum religiously for bit now, trying to "soak" up all I can about providing my new betta, Bubba, with a healthy environment and as educated owner as possible. This site has replaced Facebook as my go to internet pastime

I purchased a 3 gallon, crescent shaped tank that came with a fitted, flat, clear plastic lid, with holes for feeding, the small whisper, and cord space for a bubbling LED airstone (which I disconnected and replaced with a heater.)

My main question is.....is a clear lid okay? Most of the other tanks I've seen are more like hoods and are usually equipped with a light source (which I don't have, other than natural light). Does the cover make it too bright for Bubba? Should I cover it with dark material?

I have only silk tank accessories, so live plants aren't an issue.

Thanks in advance and I'll try and get pics up asap!!!
BettAy Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #2 
aurasoulful

I think a glass canopy is a great idea. I have one too and it keeps the surface of the water nice and humid for Bubba's labyrinth organ. It also will definately prevent him from ever jumping out on you. You can also use any type of lighting as you wish as well. :)
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 
Campbell

I have clear (glass) lids on all three of my tanks. My fish don't seem to mind a bit.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

I love my glass clear tops more than my hooded tanks...I like that I can see my fish from above..they looks so cool swimming around in that angle..haha
As long as you don't have live plants it should be fine. If you decide to go with live plants in the future you can use a desk light with a daylight bulb with 6500K...That is what I use on my glass top tanks.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #5 
Monroe

I really liked my clear glass lid, until it really started to get really moist and collect under the lid. I didn't like this because the glass would stain and the glass was no longer clear. So, I moved to this. No build up, provides slight shading other than the given submerged planting, and I can feed my fish easily. I watch my water and fish consistantly, and he loves the new lid and the water is always a warm 78.

Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote