Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #1 
BeautifulBetta

Fry Vs. Food?

Just thought I'd throw this out there, I've read everywhere about all the different kinds of fry food people use. BUT I was wondering what made them grow fastest for you guys or what you prefer using?
For my younger fries I'm using egg yolk for one meal, and microworms for the other, and I kinda alternate. The older fries though, I feed a combo of BBS, microworms and eggyolk. What are your methods? I'm curious about what everyone else does.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #2 
BettaHeart

i've used microworms until they were able to eat bbs, that coupled with keeping the water clean really made my last spawn grow quickly. I did use VE once but i think it may have caused some of the babies to not have ventrals, so im iffy about using them again.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #3 
BeautifulBetta

I've never tried Vinegar Eels..I've heard they're easy to culture...but vinegar is not my favourite smell haha
Old 01-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #4 
BettaHeart

it is when you have a starter as i did ... and as for the smell i havent noticed myself lol
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #5 
BeautifulBetta

Oh okay, interesting!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Day 1-3: Micorworms, walter worms, banana worms (3 times per day)
Day 3-14: Mixture of Worms and bbs (2-3 times per day)
Day 14-5 weeks: bbs only (2-3 times per day)
At 3-4 weeks I begin offering Atison's Fry Starter and crushed NLS right before bbs feedings and by 6 weeks they will usually accept dry foods exclusively.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta

They'll eat dry food that early huh? Cool!

(BTW, small world comment, DarkMoon, I got curious and clicked your link to your art haha. Turns out I've been following you for EVER and didn't realize you were on here too. Oh boy. :P )
Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

Oh ya, you just have to be consistent. If you offer the dry food right before their normal feedings they will eventually associate it with food and nibble it. It works best when you have a large number of fry as they become much more food aggressive.

I thought your DA name looked familiar! That explains a lot haha I'll have to send you a watch back, your photography is really something!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

For growth...BBS until they're large enough for Atison Starter (within a few weeks) and then Atison Pro. Also you need a large tank (I reccomend no less than 30 gallons) in order for any growth to occur.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

Yes, and water changes are very important. The more water changes, the faster they will grow. Begin doing water changes when you start feeding them. The volume depends on the tank size but 10-25% daily is pretty good. At 2-3 weeks you can begin doing larger 50% daily water changes then once they are around 5 weeks they will most likely require 75%-90% daily water changes. The actual amount you change depends on the size of the tank and the number of fry.