Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #21 
ForbiddenSecrets

Ghost shrimp are pretty fun to watch once you find them - it's neat how they eat :D I had three a while ago and one vanished and I've had two ever since. I thought they would be snacks as well but I'm starting to think that I'm the one who killed the third accidentally in a WC ^^;; My bettas do the food scavenge thing with them.

I'd avoid ottos unless you plan on a live very planted tank that's producing algae and you're also growing algae for them on the side. They enjoy hobbies such as starving themselves to death by not eating wafers and ignoring fresh cut veggies because they are all wild caught and don't get that it's food. :/ If you have the right environment for them though they are super little guys.

I have some [4] kuhli loaches in a sand bottom 10 which there is a lot of debate on if they can be in a 10 or need at least a 20 but they have fattened up and gotten great colors since I got them so they seem to be doing well. They share their space with a young female betta.

I've had good success with Platies as well even though I was hesitant to put something in the same water level as my betta. [Try for all females :D] And as many people have said Cories are darlings :D If you can I'd recommend shipping a few pygmies in though just so they could have a larger school. Other then that Petco carries Juli Cories that I find to be super adorbz.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #22 
Aluyasha

@Hedgehog: So if I got C. aeneus how many would I be able to have?
I have also heard that some Cories have attacked Bettas. What are the chances of this happening?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #23 
BettaMiah

Cories? Attack... Sounds like a bunch of bull. Cories are very sweet fish.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #24 
hedgehog

you could get 4 maybe 5 but that's a bit much. I honestly can't believe that a cory would ever attack a betta. They are sweet and don't actually do anything. When one of my bettas harassed my cory the cory didn't do anything at all except swim away. The cory that attacked the betta was probably not actually a cory.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #25 
Micho

It's actually the reverse, when Jake was still alive he would chase the pygmy cories I had, this stopped after a day and he just left them alone. Pygmy cories are fast swimmers and can outswim a Betta with no problems.

While other types of cories have spikes and armor so your Betta won't have any effect on them. C:
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #26 
Aluyasha

Well I have been thinking about it and I am going to go with 4 C. aeneus. And the tank well just be housing Maxwell and them. :)
So would I introduce them all at once?
And should I buy more plants or something?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #27 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
No Tetras, please. They might be okay, but I believe they need at least 15 gallons and a school fo 6 to shoal properly.

I reccomend Ghost Shrimp. I love thm! And in that great big tank, I doubt he would care, and even if he did they could hide.

I do not reccomend Cories. They need at least 20 gallons for a shoal of 4. Pygmys, though, are okay. You can get 6.

What about a snail? Funny little critters they are!
Corydoras are great for that size of a tank.. get 4 or 5 pygmy and you will love them. Or 4-5 of the larger species.

Others have listed other great ideas =) But a smaller shoaling fish would look pretty in there! And +1 to female platies, I love those little fish lol
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #28 
Myates

Whoops, didn't read your last post (I blame that on me eating and not paying attention!)

Go ahead and do all in at once, they will be able to get to know each other and establish anything that is needed easier. You can place a few more plants, but cory tend to swim on the bottom of the tank, and sometimes they love to swim up and down the sides of a tank with the filter current.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #29 
Micho

Bronze Cories are a great addition to your tank, they like plants though, did you mention you had a planted tank, I could have missed it. . .

Anyways, they're omnivores so they'll eat anything, I recommend sinking wafers since pellets/flakes your Betta will get to them before they will.

So yeah four sounds like a good number~
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #30 
Aluyasha

So I went to the petstore today and they did not have any cories...so I left with 5 Platies and a Molly. lol
I let them float in their bags to see what Maxwell thought of them. He was more interested in the bits of stuff floating in the bag rather than the fish.
After a while I added the fish. At first he was a little afraid of them, but it has been a few hours now and he is swimming around fine now. :)
He is such a nice Betta.