Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #1 
ksage505

Will they calm down, clear divider?

I just divided my ten gallon and the screen of the divider is completely clear. I have my crowntail on one side and my plakat on the other. At first the plakat wasn't paying any attention to the crowntail, but the crowntail was going crazy flaring at him. Now the plakat is flaring back but he doesn't seem quite as aggressive as the crowntail Will they settle down? Anyone else have two males that can see each other through a divided tank?

If they don't calm down I'll just take the crowntail and put him in my females 2.5 gallon and give her his spot in the 10 gallon since the plakat doesn't seem to be as aggressive. Hes probably not going to be happy! Hes used to having the 10 gallon all to himself.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

They should get tired and calm down pretty quickly. Eventually they'll get used to seeing each other and realize that they can't get at each other. Flaring will still happen, but they should calm down about it.

Your crowntail might be too aggressive for this type of housing though. My first crowntail, Ratchet, was in my twice divided 10 gallon and started tail biting out of aggression, so I had to move him to his own tank. Sometimes they're just too aggressive for divided tanks, but so far I've only found 2 that were (Out of 6 males that were housed in my tank at various times).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

Give them a mirror so they can see themselves, just lean it against the tank right at the divider. I've found that girls who know their own appearance tend to be more respectful of other girls. Walmart $3.00 ones with the little folding stand are nice for this and you can hang them with a couple simple wire hooks.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #4 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
They should get tired and calm down pretty quickly. Eventually they'll get used to seeing each other and realize that they can't get at each other. Flaring will still happen, but they should calm down about it.

Your crowntail might be too aggressive for this type of housing though. My first crowntail, Ratchet, was in my twice divided 10 gallon and started tail biting out of aggression, so I had to move him to his own tank. Sometimes they're just too aggressive for divided tanks, but so far I've only found 2 that were (Out of 6 males that were housed in my tank at various times).
Thanks, I went ahead and switched the crowntail with my female. He was freaking out. Its been hours and he still hasn't calmed down a bit.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

He's probably too aggressive then. It usually doesn't take that long for them to calm down or get tired out.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote