Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #1 
Perlier

2 new betta's, is my set up and care going to be ok?

Hello everyone!
I bought 2 half moon males at petsmart saturday because for 1: they were so pretty I couldnt leave without them because I love halfmoons and well they are both nice colors too 2: they were on sale for $5 3: I had xmas money so why not buy myself a present : )

I havent switched them to there new tanks yet because I have been to busy to set up my 1 gallon aqueon tank and I need another 1 gal tank for the other male. How often will I need to clean these tanks, Ive read 2x a week but how much percentage? Ive read 50% and 100% but I thought 100% would be stressful on them. I really cannot afford 2.5 gallon tanks until my birthday in Feb, so please dont tell me I need 2.5 gal because I will work on getting that size when I can. Just thought id save you from the typing it would take to tell me that. : )
I have owned betta before but at some point after several months they die and I really would like to keep these alive much longer then that.
I have the aqueon brand betta pellets, which I feed maybe 4 pellets each once a day-every other day. Should I feed more often? Also I have the Brine Shrimp that are in the cubes, Ive broken small pieces off and fed that to them twice since ive had them in addition to the pellets for that day. They seem to enjoy the brine shrimp, lol.
Ive read some people use silk plants and some use live. My sister has some live java moss in her tank that I can have a few pieces of, would that be good until I can get some more live plants in Feb at a fish/plant sale? Or until the piece of java fern i have to put in my 10gal tank for guppies get bigger?
I will look into some forms of heat tonight when I go to petsmart to buy the furry critters christmas presents. Any heaters to reccomend for a 1gal tank?
Thanks
Lisa
Perlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #2 
BettaBuddy101

Do the tanks have filters? If not, then water changes every other day will be needed, I'd guess at least 50%. Good job you are upgrading asap, I would go for even larger if you can - as I personal preference after upgrading my bettas 15L to 28L and seeing the huge difference in his behaviour, I wouldn't want to go below 4 or 5 gallons. If they do have filters, then I would do 25% twice a week, if not 50%.
You want the heater with the smallest wattage you can get, as it is a very small tank. Do check how many gallons it is apropriate for though, small tanks can be heated very unsuccessfully, resulting in temperature fluctations, overheating, etc.
The feeding regime seems fine to me, some java fern might be a nice idea, though with space already so limited, I might leave it for now if you already have other decorations as it will also need wood to grow on which will take up even more space.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #3 
BettaBuddy101

Oh, and welcome to BettaFish.com :)
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

The 1gal unfiltered are fine IMO/E......For water changes-twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality...

Once you add some rooted plants and you have proper lights to support growth....1-2 50% weekly should maintain water quality....

Heaters-I use the 25w Tetra brand preset type for my 1-5 gal tanks and they keep the water 75-82F depending on the room temp

A good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals are best...

Love to see some pics and hear more about your Betta adventures.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #5 
1fish2fish

For an uncycled one gallon tank (with or without a filter.. makes no difference if there is no cycle) you should ideally do two 100% water changes a week. You can probably get by with one 50% and one 100% but in my opinion more is always better.

Don't believe the myth that too many water changes will stress them out. My breeder males were kept in 1 gallon jars with DAILY 100% water changes (during conditioning) and every 3 day 100% water changes while not being bred and they were never stressed. These fish adapt well and will get used to the water change schedule, it's better to put them through a tiny bit of stress than subject them to poor water quality.

I would feed them 3-4 pellets a day and fasting at least one day a week. Feed the brine shrimp sparingly (unless they're the frozen kind). Once you get a little more comfortable with the fish you can judge whether or not you need to feed them more or less.

Java moss is excellent for betta tanks. With adequate light and nutrients it should grow and fill the tank nicely.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #6 
Myates

Welcome!

I have to agree, 1 50% and 1 100% is ideal- you can have too clean of water which in turn will cause them to not build up the proper immunity/resistances to pathogens and bacteria. The 50 and 100% are just enough to remove the build up of ammonia and nitrates without over doing it.

Feed small multiple meals daily is idea as mentioned before- 4-6 pellets total a day, 2-3 per meal. Their stomachs are approximately the size of their eyes, making it better to feed smaller often, rather then one large meal that has a potential to overfeed and bloat them which could cause other health issues.

Otherwise it looks like you have everything covered for yourself, and OFL is correct about the heater- a good 25 watt heater (preset or adjustable) is ideal for you- as it will work good in the 1 gallons, and then in any larger tank you get that is 5 gallons and under. Don't forget a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp!

Java moss is great for a unfiltered small tank- I would definitely use it.. and if your java fern is small you could use that too :)

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by Myates; 12-22-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Welcome!

I have to agree, 1 50% and 1 100% is ideal- you can have too clean of water which in turn will cause them to not build up the proper immunity/resistances to pathogens and bacteria. The 50 and 100% are just enough to remove the build up of ammonia and nitrates without over doing it.
Where did you get this from?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #8 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You can have a too clean environment-you have both good and bad pathogens in the tank-by exposing the fish to all the different pathogens enable to fish to develop antibodies- that in turns helps build a strong immune response and limits stress due to too many water changes...its a balance of sorts.....healthy fish need be exposed to pathogens but at the same time maintaining water quality.....make sense......too clean and sterile like environment is not healthy.......
Thread (her second reply)

:)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

Smh
Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #10 
Pitluvs

We feed Aqueon pellets and do 4 pellets twice a day, but my guys are much older and have been here for months. We also feed frozen food at least once a week, but the last two weeks we have been feeding frozen food once a day since I have a sick Betta that needs it lol

Welcome to the forum!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote