Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #1 
Gloria

Female Bubblenest?!

So.. I know there have been a few other people on here that have had similar questions..
But I just wanted to clarify.. Why do females sometimes blow bubblenests?
I got a new girl and her 'sister' a few weeks ago and put them in a sorority together.. They were fine and happy then I noticed the one I wasn't planning to breed with one of my males was making a bubblenest, a proper nest.. Why would she do this?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #2 
Silverfang

Some females just nest. not sure why. Might be that some have parental instincts. But it is fun to see :)
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #3 
Myates

As long as you can see her ovipositor, then you know there is a higher chance that she is a she lol... but females do it for reasons similar to males: to show that they are physically capable of breeding, to claim territory or as an indicator of oncoming low pressure weather fronts.
However, it is a higher probability that you actually have a young plakat male. They often have fake ovipositors to fool older males, to protect themselves from attack. If it has long ventral fins and a wide dorsal fin, it is almost definitely a male. So I would just keep an eye on her, otherwise you got a girl that isn't too common. =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #4 
Gloria

Thanks Myates and Silverfang

This is a picture of 'her'.. It's not a very good one, I had to use the flash as it was too dark...
Name:  fishy love 019.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  fishy love 021.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  50.7 KB

I saw a little white spot where the ovipositor should be, but it does'nt look like my other 2 females. It literally just looks like a spot not like it comes off the 'skin'... I don't know if that makes sense.. Anyway..
She never used to flare until I put her sister back in after breeding failure.. She ended up just flaring and chasing and niping at the other girl, they both got agressive towards one another, so i had to split them and put them in their own tanks...

I will keep an eye one 'her'... As far as I know 'she' is just a VT female..
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #5 
Silverfang

she's got the small fins, but it's possible she is a he. Watch her closely, incase she is a young he.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote