Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #1 
extremewonton

Question Mini gravel cleaner?

Hey does anyone have experience with the Aqueon 06226 Mini Siphon Vacuum Aquarium Gravel Cleaner. I have a 1.5 gal tank and i do 50% and 100% water change every week. I wanted to use the gravel cleaner for the 50% water change. I heard that for some this cleaner sucks up too much water and that by the time you are almost finished there is no more water. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.
extremewonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #2 
ArcticRain

I have it and use it in my 2.5 gallon tanks. I was worried about it sucking up too much water too fast also. I went ahead and bought it. I agree, it does suck up too much water too fast. But I also believe it is still a very useful piece of equipment.
How I do my water changes is. I use a Turkey Baster (really does work) to suck up all the debris at the bottom of the tank. By the time I am done doing that, I haven't taken out a quarter of the water I need to. This is where the gravel cleaner comes in handy. I use it to suck up the rest of the water I need to take out and also use it to suck up anything I missed. The fact it sucks the water out too fast, makes for very short water changes.
I believe it is a very good buy if you plan to use the method above. But, if you want to use it solely as a gravel vac. No, it does not work.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote