Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #1 
Kiaooh

Stupidest water change question.

I hope this is in the right forum. Ahem.

I plan on buying a bigger tank for my bettas; likely a 5 gallon, though perhaps I'll look into a 10 gallon instead. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, but I'm concerned because the tank would be quite far away from the sink, and I couldn't exactly pick it up and carry it to the kitchen like I'm doing with my one-gallons now.

So... how do you do 100% water changes when you're not in close proximity to a sink/water source? Are those big tanks lighter and more portable than they look? I'm imagining it getting quite messy, and since the outlet is on the wall behind it, I'm having trouble figuring out how I'd get the old water out and new water in.

What horribly obvious thing am I missing?
Kiaooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

You NEVER do a 100% water change on a 5 gallon and up. They will cycle, so you will kill beneficial bacteria.

Instead, I reccomend you get a gravel vac (Gravel siphon) and take out 10% every week.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #3 
Micho

Welcome to da forums~

Anyways, 5 gallons alone should be plenty for him, 10 gallons and maybe you can start a community tank (if he's not aggressive). As for the tank being too far away from the sink, we don't expect you to lug a tank bigger than 2 gallons around. Get a gravel vacuum, or any sort of airline tube. Just put one end in your tank, start sucking on the under end and let it flow into a bucket.

With tanks bigger than 5 gallons it's not recommended to make 100% water changes, you'll most likely want to cycle them (building up beneficial bacteria). .

So yeah get a gravel vacuum, easiest way to do a water change.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #4 
LittleNibbles93

What they said.

(I had a lengthy comment, but it was so confusing, you couldn't understand it, the people above me explained it better then me, lol.)

Hope it goes well for you!
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #5 
Kiaooh

Gack. Do I have to cycle it? @___@ I'm afraid my roommate would turn homicidal with any noise at all from a filter. What's the biggest size I can get away with without cycling?

Now I'm wondering if I should just keep the one-gallons. I might be thinking about this too much. <_>
Old 10-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #6 
bettafish15

You can get some really quiet filters. Cycling happens, you dont have to do anything but waterchanges really. Dont let this scare you!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

No, I wouldn't. I gallons is a little on the small size. If you can, bigger is always better!

It can cycle without a filter, but if you want to do that I would go barebottom to cycle it (So if you use fish flakes to get it going you can get them out easily) then add the stuff once it is ready to go.

I know, Cycling is a pain in the ass. I mean, it isn't hard just the wait is agonizing!
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #8 
Micho

Yeah if you're worried about noisy filters I can say that the Tetra Whisper brand doesn't make that much noise. Unless your roommate has like super sensitive hearing and not tired at all, she will not hear the filter when she sleeps.

I would recommend cycling for anything above 5 gallons. It really helps and it's not that hard. I thought it would take forever but mine is cycled and it's been only two weeks.

By giving your Betta a bigger home you're being a wonderful owner. The one gallons make good QT tanks, they're great permanent homes if you maintain clean water, etc. But I would recommend 5 gallons and above, less water changes, more fun.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #9 
Kiaooh

Too late, already scared. The wait is another thing that worries me. My fish will be moving to temporary babysitter homes every two or three months, and I don't want to have to re-cycle every time they move. If it takes that long to cycle anyways, my fish will spend more time in temporary tanks than in the cycled thing anyways. Right?

If I'm wrong about that, are there any super-quiet, inexpensive filters you can recommend? University freshman here. <_>

EDIT: Thanks for the brand suggestion, Micho.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #10 
Micho

If you're moving every three months or so I think it would be best for you to stick with something smaller. Also just a note your filter will be the source of where the beneficial bacteria will live. They will live on decorations like driftwood, etc, you won't necessarilly have to cycle everytime you move. When you do move scoop a bucket of water out from your tank. Dump your decoration and filter in that bucket or the filter media. When you move set up the tank and pour that bucket of water into the tank, this will jump start your cycle and take a week or so to cycle.

As I said, Tetra Whisper brand, it's not noisy at all. I recommend it.