Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #1 
LadyPantherpaw

Question Can I get some critique on my betta's tank/heater? (Also, my intro!)

Hey folk, newbie here!

I owned several betta fish over my childhood years. My mom liked that they were low maintenance (the mindset of "oh just throw 'em in a small tank with some rocks, they're fine" which I have learned recently is definitely NOT the way to own a betta.

So yesterday, husband and I visited our local pet store to buy a fish "for our toddler" (duh, the fish was definitely for me). We still had the little 0.5g tank for our previous bettas, along with the gravel and some plants. We got home, I did everything I did before, treated the water, put him somewhere safe where the cats couldn't knock his tank over, etc.

Then I noticed it was getting cold, and Mr. Bloo wasn't eating...or swimming...or anything.

That was when I started doing my reading. I'd never had a problem with bettas living in those little tanks, they'd lasted for several years and had been fat happy fish. But this guy...he wasn't looking good.

So I went out, bought a modest tank, heater, and thermometer, and I want to get your guys' opinion if you can give it! So far he seems happy (still hasn't eaten, but I'm assuming it's because of the big change), he's swimming around, his color is back to bright blue (rather than faded purple), and keeps swimming up to the side to say hello.

The tank is a Top Fin 2 Gallon Aquascene 360 GloFish Starter kit (ideal for GloFish & Tropical fish). The fish guy at PetSmart said it would work for a betta. So far the filter/pump is fantastic.

The heater I have is a Stealth Pro Shatter Proof Heater 10 watt (for up to 3 gallons).

Here is my problem.

The heater box says it's preset at 78 degrees, but the little thermometer I have submerged in the tank is 82 degrees. Mr. Bloo doesn't seem stressed or agitated. I'm going to buy a second thermometer just to make sure that the thermometer , but does anyone here have any experience with the heater who can shed some light on the situation? I'm assuming it's warmer than 78 degrees simply because 2 gallons is a pretty small tank for a heater.

I've heard some terrifying reviews of the heater, but also some good ones. I don't want to screw up this little guy's life since I just got him feeling good! Any advice would be fantastic!
LadyPantherpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #2 
Micho

Welcome to the forums!

Right off the bat I would suggest getting the Elite Submersible 25w mini heater. This might potentially fry your fish with that current heater of yours, is your thermometer inside or outside the tank? If it's outside it's probably somewhat inaccurate.

I'd trust your thermometer and what it reads, Betta can withstand 76F to 84F~

Other than that you're doing a great job with your new Betta!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 
LadyPantherpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Right off the bat I would suggest getting the Elite Submersible 25w mini heater. This might potentially fry your fish with that current heater of yours, is your thermometer inside or outside the tank? If it's outside it's probably somewhat inaccurate.

I'd trust your thermometer and what it reads, Betta can withstand 76F to 84F~

Other than that you're doing a great job with your new Betta!
The thermometer is currently on the inside, and I kind of expected the temperature to be a little bit off. I'm paying more attention to how Mr. Bloo is acting, and he's settling down for the night.

I read some reviews about the higher wattage heaters actually exploding, which terrifies me. The 10w heater wasn't on the recall list from February, but should I still be concerned?
LadyPantherpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #4 
Micho

I think you should, just reading that it exploded gave me goosebumps, see if you can return it and state that you have read reviews of this product and it's exploding tendencies.

Mr. Bloo loves warm water since he comes from South East Asia, but too hot will cook him just like any other fish! So be careful, usually inside the tank thermometers are accurate enough to trust.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote