Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #1 
Laki

Lakitu's blackwater tank??

Hey, so I didn't post the newest pics but I was wondering if my tank is considered blackwater biotope? Ever since I got the KK, driftwood and plants I preferred the look of tanned water. Now there's IAL's in there. Is the substrate okay for a blackwater? Or should I switch to sand? Feel free to critisize, comment, whatever. I welcome your thoughts :) (*oh these pics were taken the day I got the IAL's.. The water has since tanned further and I finally added my 2 baby moss balls)
Attached Images

Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

While adding Indian Almond Leaves and wood to an aquarium does add tannins to your water and mimics the appearance of a blackwater environment, I wouldn't really call it a true blackwater biotope. There are lots of different factors that contribute to a blackwater habitat, such as water softness/pH, Total dissolved solids (TDS) and even oxygen levels and current.

This to me, is what I think of when I hear the words 'blackwater biotope'.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simulat...in/photostream

If you want a blackwater style tank, strip out all the fake plants (vegetation is mainly limited because of all the tannins), put in a thin layer of play sand, and remove the seashells as they will harden your water, which is the opposite of what you want for a blackwater set-up.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #3 
Okami

I think "biotopes" are 100% natural as well. I may of coarse be wrong. In my tank I use natural sand and clay substrate for my plants.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

If it is filtered I would go with a dark sand either brown or black maybe. Unfiltered I would stick with gravel for ease of 100% water change.While it is a lovely betta home I don't believe it is a blackwater biotope for reasons LittleBettaFish has mentioned.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Ideally a biotope is like a slice of nature from whatever environment you've chosen to portray. So you should have only livestock, plants and hardscape materials that would be found in that specific area.

However, most people use the term rather loosely as it can be difficult to represent everything in minute detail, particularly because some habitats aren't that visually appealing in nature. This is why in some Amazon River 'blackwater biotopes' people include plants such as anubias and java fern even if they don't exist there.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #6 
Laki

Oh cool! thanks guys! I'm picking up sand tomorrow I think. :/ Not too sure about the java fern and other plants bc of my obnoxious brown thumb. oh wow, that pic looks like an underwater version of erm.. Scar's prideland in Lion King. Very dingy looking.
I guess I don't have a true blackwater habitat. That's okay. I still love the look! Maybe one of these days bit by bit I'll manage it ^.^
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #7 
Okami

the anubias and Java ferns are real easy to keep alive actualty. When you get your sand ask for some plant substrate and layer that over the sand. after you plant them they will be happy with your Betta. If you can I also suggest picking up some driftwood. The Driftwood I think also releases Tanis into the water like the leaves but not nearly as much.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #8 
Laki

Well with weekly changes and bi-weekly changes a rooted plant would only suffer wouldn't it? I've seen ferns sold in little bundles but can they stay that way in the tank? Also, I don't have a filter.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

The nice thing about anubias and java ferns...The grow best attached to large/medium rocks. or other decor..They dont like their rhizome below the substrate...so they are easy to take out for 100% water changes.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #10 
Laki

That's a good idea, I can bind it to my driftwood! ^^ My LPS only sell gross choppy looking dull, yellowy leaf plants for like 10$.. o.o So I think I'll shop around. None of this blackwater stuff will happen until after I move however.