Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 
BettaFreakMink

Exclamation Omg....SEVERE Bloat! Please Help!

Ok, so I have a giant male betta that is my favorite fish ever...and lately I just keep hitting walls with his health! Forever he was healthy, active, interactive, and amazing. Then...he got fin/body fungus. So, I used some melafix and started to heal him. It worked, so I put him back in his 5 gallon tank with his corydoras. He was fine for about a week, then I noticed he was looking...pudgy. So I fed him a little less. He kept growing....So I put him back in a smaller container with just some extra Prime. No change after a week, so I tried afix, not wanting to over-do it since he just got done with the fungus treatment. Still no change after a week after changes too)So I ask a friend who knows a lot about the things and he told me to put him in warmer water and make sre he gets lots of exersize. So I put him in the heated 20 gallon with some other fish (capturing up my gourami in a net so she wouldn't bother him much). Two days later (today) I looked in and noticed that he w nearly TWICE as bloated, tilts downward, has no energy, AND the scales on his bloated stomach are all flared out.

Is this or is this dropsy? Is there a way to fix this?

Alo, I've pulled him out of the larger tank and he's back in a smaller container again (this time a cup instead of the 1 gallon he was in before)
BettaFreakMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

Yes, it does sound a lot like dropsy. I'm very sorry. Can you post a picture?
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Do his scales look like this? http://www.bettatalk.com/images/clos...ropsy_copy.gif

If so then it is probably dropsy. Unfortunately if he's at this stage there isn't much that can be done for him. The odds of a fish surviving dropsy are slim to none (sorry to say). At this point all you can do is keep him comfortable. I'm not sure if it is contageous, but I'd isolate him just to be safe. Keep him warm, clean water (Epsom salt can sometimes help him at least "feel" better 3 tsp/gal, start at one and increase the dosage over the course of a day or so). Maracyn 1 and 2 has been recommended before, but I am unsure it will make much difference.

As long as he is eating and not struggling keep up with him, after that, considering the best option for his life is up to you.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #4 
BettaFreakMink

His scales looked like that picture.

Since I've put him in the cooler water (aka not heated at all) in a small cup, the scales laid down some, though he's still very bloated. Now that he's in the cup he's also eating better. I've kept a very close eye on my other fish, and so far, they are perfectly normal.

I'll try to get some pictures, though I fear it probably is dropsy...I really don't want him to suffer....are there even 'humane' ways to down a fish?

-sighs-
BettaFreakMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #5 
Silverfang

There are, there is a way with clove oil, and a few other ways. I'd suggest you PM OFL or Sakura8, both would be able to talk you through it. I'm sure there are others who could, but I have seen them offer to help in the past.

I wish I could help you more, I was unable to bring myself to "put down" my girl who had dropsy, clove oil was unavailable and the other humane ways were, well, I just couldn't bring myself to do them. *offers hugs and warm wishes* I hope the best and you for your little boy
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Mink, it sounds like your big guy has got a nasty internal bacterial infection. This causes the organs to malfunction, creating a backup of fluids that raises the scales and causes bloat, hence "dropsy."

If your guy is eating, then I recommend Seachem Kanaplex taken internally via food. You will need to find instructions on Seachem's website on how to make medicated food using this. Another option, since Kanaplex usually needs to be ordered online, is to feed Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets. You definitely want Anti-Parasite because the medicine, metronidazole, is highly effective against internal bacterial infections when taken internally.

Definitely do what Silverfang suggests and put your guy in 3 tsps of epsom salt. This will help to leach out the excess fluids.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions or your guy gets worse, definitely PM me. Good luck and hang in there!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote