Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #1 
roarsirroar

Eeep! What's going on with his fins?

Housing
What size is your tank? always 3.5 gallon, but i lowered the water a gallon less cause hes a little bit bloated (too many bloodworms!) :p sooo at moment 2.5 gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 75-82 F
Does your tank have a filter? nope
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nope
Is your tank heated? nope (dont kill meeeee)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetra betta pellets (it came with these water conditioning fizzy tablets) and topfin betta color enhancing pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day, 2 pellets each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? usually 50% twice a week & one 100% every other week, but cause of the fin rot, 50% every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?see above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat+ & some AQ Salt lately to fight the finrot.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
nope
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
ive been having some fin problems in the last two weeks (ever since i put that stupid gravel in... but i took it out) and it seemed like yesterday everything was cleared up (no holes, tears, none) but this morning i saw some deterioration or rotting on the top of his dorsal fin. i had to go to school but immediately when i got home i changed 50% of his water. Now tonight i saw that the tip of his dorsal fin is changing color. its a white, light blue, grey color. The rot or whatever hasnt gone away, but this i knew wouldn't heal in such a short amount of time.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?none. hes still a happy fish! :)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this evening
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? for fin rot, stress coat+ and AQ salt and extra water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no. not since i changed the gravel. but i switched it back immediately.
How old is your fish (approximately)? i bought him last year on memorial day

these are really bad photos, but i have a video. its uploading.

thanks guys!
Attached Images

roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi roarsirroar. Well, his anal and his tail fins both look pretty good. I can sort of see the lighter coloring on his dorsal fin. Are there any blackened edges on that lighter colored part? Does any part of him look fuzzy? And how is he acting? Does he still eat and swim okay?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #3 
roarsirroar

hi sakura, yes there are some black edges. this morning i left for school and when i came back it looked like its gotten worse. its most definitely deteriorating or something. but besides that he acts and eats just fine.

i'm going to nuke his tank right now and increase the AQ salt amount slightly. i'm hoping its not advanced finrot...

again, really bad photos :p sorry.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #4 
Myates

With AQ salt and fin rot you will want to do 1-2 tsp per gallon, with 100% DAILY water changes.. for 10-14 days, no longer.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #5 
Sakura8

He's got gorgeous fins. Yes, I can see the black edges in the second set of pics you posted. The AQ salt and water changes should take care of the fin rot and encourage his fins to grow back. If you can, you may want to pick up API Stress Coat as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #6 
roarsirroar

UPDATE:
i put him in a 1 gallon QT tank since i can't put salt in my planted 3 gallon. also its been easier to clean than the giant vase.

its gotten a bit worse. i moved him up to my room so i can keep the temperature warmer in here than downstairs.

lol he does not like his temporary home. it sucks that i cant give him any foilage cause i only have old fake plastic plants. and theyre sharp!

sakura, i have stress coat :)
i'm doing 2 tsp AQ salt and 1 mL of Stress Coat+. sounds good y/n?

yay! these photos are clearer!
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #7 
roarsirroar

i just noticed this, but he has two thin lines of grey on the upper back part of his body. just on one side. its not part of his stress stripes, but you can see it in the first pic. above to the reflection of the lense...

should i be concerned? i dont believe it was there yesterday...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi roarsirroar. Yup, those pics show pretty clearly that he's got fin rot. You've got everything under control though. :) If, after a day or so, he still hasn't responded to treatment, up the AQ salt to 3 tsps and the Stress Coat to 2 ml. Don't keep him in AQ salt for more than 14 days. If, after 14 days, he still has signs of fin rot, we'll have to try medication. He really is a handsome fellow, I love his coloring. And about those grey lines. In the picture, they don't look like anything you need to be concerned about but keep an eye on them and if they get bigger or change drastically, definitely let us know.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #9 
roarsirroar

yeah hes very blue :D
ok thanks so much!!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Good luck with him.