Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #91 
roarsirroar

Hmm...ok i think i'll go see if my local petco has the hydor but if not i'll take the cascade in consideration. i'm just a little skeptical about the price.

the white stuff is coming out of the scale/wound. it doesn't seem to be moving.
roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #92 
Sakura8

Is the price high? At my pet store, it's only $14 or so. But the Hydor is a good brand too so no worries.

That's odd about his wound. Normally if there is white stuff, it is excess slime coat. But it wouldn't be coming directly out of the wound but from the surrounding area. And usually white stuff emerging from a wound or hole in the body is anchor worms.

Does he seem affected by it in any other way? The epsom salt should help to sterilize the wound and keep it from getting infected.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #93 
roarsirroar

you respond fast :D
no the price is actually really low. on some sites its like 10 bucks. usually cheap price = cheap product. but you seem to have good experience with the brand. i think i'll just be safe and get the hydor :)

he acts just fine. haha this fish has so many weird problems!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #94 
DarkMoon17

For the injury, increase the Aq. Salt concentration to at least 2 tsp/gal. It should go away with a higher concentration... It's a bit strange that it happened at all considering he is already in Aq. Salt though.

There are far too many heaters to choose from...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #95 
roarsirroar

hey darkmoon! i got your message :)
funny thing is that i've been doing 2tsp/gal this whole time.

its crazy how many brands there are. and reviews dont help too much cause one says theyre incredibly reliable but the other says its a piece of crap. shame that the bad brands are the only ones petsmart sells. and i was so looking forward to using a $10 off coupon...
Old 10-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #96 
DarkMoon17

Then I guess just let him be. If it gets worse then we can increase it to 3tsp/gal but with all he's been through it would be best to go no higher than 2tsp/gal.

I know right? I'm really starting to hate Petsmart, everything they sell is worthless. They don't sell any good food or heater brands. The only thing they have going for them is that they do sell medications. But their "halfmoons" aren't even halfmoons and their fish are always sick so meh... I don't go there very often anymore. Good luck on your quest! I've really only come to like Top Fin heaters for whatever reason... but I don't think they have 25watt ones.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #97 
Sakura8

I was just at my Petsmart and they had a "halfmoon" betta whose back was severely deformed. Poor thing, I wanted to buy it so bad.

Roar, it's the same way with filters. Some people will rave about a filter and others will hate it. There are too many choices! Why can't one company just make one good product, instead of a whole bunch of companies making mediocre things? Sigh. And DarkMoon, I agree with you about Petsmart. The only electrical type aquarium thing I buy from there is a light strip. The heater selection stinks.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #98 
roarsirroar

hey sorry for the reeeaaallly late reply.
i ended up buying the elite 50w cause there was nothing else (since i cant buy online...). http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...pr_product_top
i just got it like 10 minutes ago so i cant really review it yet.

his fins are getting really better! no more rot.

o and btw im super scared of heaters (blowing up and frying fish and whatnot)
anyone have this heater? any tips or whatevas?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #99 
Sakura8

I know Tisia has used Elite heaters. For the most part, heaters are pretty reliable, especially adjustable ones. The best way to avoid any accidents is to get a thermometer. That way you can check the temp without having to rely on what hte heater says.

I'm glad his fins are getting better. That's great, great news. :)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #100 
roarsirroar

thats good to hear but turns out the darn thing can only go to 74F until turning off. is that normal or do i have a defect?