Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #11 
roarsirroar

craaaaaaaaaap what it this? it that a missing scale??
and his finrot is spreading faster. ill have to up the dosage...
Attached Images

roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #12 
Okami

if you can go to the nearest pet co they sell this blue liquid called Betta Fix. Worked wonders for mine when he was recovering from Velvet.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #13 
Luimeril

fin rot doesn't USUALLY leave the rays behind..... that's pretty odd. i don't usually suggest it, but have you tried medications? NOT BettaFix or Melafix, since those can harm his labyrinth organ.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #14 
roarsirroar

no i havent tried medications...ive been doing salt baths cause i thought it was finrot.
so its more serious? aaaaaaahhhhhhh! :(
what do you recommend?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #15 
Luimeril

it could still be fin rot. it's just strange to me. i've never seen fin rot that leaves the rays alone....

i don't use meds, so i honestly don't know. i know Betta and MelaFix do more harm than good.

i just googled it, and found this on a website:
"The fish should also be treated with an antibiotic that targets gram-negative bacteria, such as minocycline or kanamycin. "

maybe someone who knows more about meds can chirp up with good meds...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #16 
Silverfang

I'd ask darkmoon or Sakura, they seem to be our resident experts on betta pharmacueticals
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #17 
roarsirroar

okay. argh im freaking out lol!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #18 
Sakura8

roarsirroar, first, yeah, no Betta Fix or Melafix. It has an ingredient that can potentially harm a betta's labyrinth organ.

When you do the salt baths, are you leaving him in the water around the clock or are you putting him in the salt water for a short time and removing him? When treating with AQ salt, unless otherwise specified (for certain types of diseases/parasites), it's best to leave the fish in the salt water around the clock during the course of treatment. If you've been removing him after a short time, that could be why he hasn't improved.

If, however, you've been leaving him in the water on a 24/7 basis, then the salt obviously isn't working and it's time to treat him with Maracyn II. When treating with Maracyn II, be sure to keep him in a dim tank because it's a light sensitive medication and may not work as well in bright light.

It's not uncommon for bettas to lose scales but they grow back pretty fast. If he keeps losing scales though, I'd definitely recommend the medicine for sure.

Hope this helps you. If you ever need urgent help, PM me, DarkMoon17, or Oldfishlady.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #19 
roarsirroar

haha yeah ive been keeping him in there :) i change the water after i come from school, and then the next day, i change the water again, around the same time.
okay so maracyn II...does the temp need to be high for it to work? cause i dont have a heater for a 1 gal and room temperature is around 75-78 ishh...
how much do you think i need?

thank you all so much for you help!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #20 
Sakura8

The temp should be around 78 for him. I replied to your PM, I hope you got it. :) Obviously the salt wasn't working then. He must have a pretty resistant strain of fin rot right now. Silly guy. Gotta save those fins of his, they're so pretty!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote