Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #21 
Luimeril

if you can get some, Indian Almond Leaves help with fin regrowth, when ya got it under control. he's a fighter, that's for sure~! hope ya kick the rot in the butt soon!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #22 
roarsirroar

sakura, haha yeah i figured out that it wasnt working, but i kept doing it thinking something magical would happen lol! 78...i'll put a heater in my room :p

yeah i got your message! but after i did the water change i left to eat dinner and when i came back he was on the bottom. he didnt even greet me. i moved my fingers around him to get his attention but he didnt respond. and then i was just about to leave when he jolted up and sped round and round his cave, running into the wall and everything. it was freakin SCARY. he seems just fine now...but hes never freaked out like that before...

luimeril, ive heard of those leaves...but i dont think my parents would let me buy a bag of dried leaves ;p. theyre still in that "but its just a fish" mentality!

thanks you two! after all he has been through im super determined to conquer this stressful (to me and him...more me!) finrot!
roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #23 
DarkMoon17

He has one scary case of fin rot. I've never seen it present like that but he looks pretty healthy otherwise so I'm sure he'll recover. It looks like you are off to a good start too. To dose the Maracyn I find it is easiest to premix it. Put 5 cups of dechlorinated water in a clean plastic jug (milk/water/juice doesn't matter as long as it is clean). Add two packets of MaracynII (as directed on the box for the first treatment). Mix well. Use 1/2 cup to treat 1 gallon and save the rest for later. His fin rot is pretty bad so I'd use this higher dose for the first 3 days with a 100% water change between each treatment. If it gets worse continue using the higher dose. If it looks like it is improving (or at least not getting worse), then pour out the old mixture and mix up a new jug with just 1 packet MaracynII (5 cups water, 1 packet, use 1/2 mixture to treat 1 gal). We'll figure out how long to continue MaracynII treatment when we know if it helps or not. Good luck and keep us posted!
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Yay, DarkMoon is on the case!

roarsirroar, maybe you woke him up? Sometimes you can startle your betta awake and they'll jump or freak like that. I hope that's all it was. And if you can't get IAL (and most of us can't), you can use clean, dried oak leaves or decaffeinated green tea as tannins. The tea must be decaf and have no added flavors at all.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #25 
roarsirroar

hey guys, how do you prefer to do 100% water changes? cause with the salt i would just lower the water to as low as possible, keeping him in there. and it seemed to do just fine with him, but i don't think i can do that with the meds. i scooped him out and he was really startled. and i didn't want to put the old water in the clean tank so i netted him out, stressing him even more. i felt really bad and maybe thats why he was all crazy last night. maybe he was scared of me or something...so how do a 100% water change properly? (n00b question, i know)

darkmoon, i'll be sure to do that!!

sakura, i really hope so cause it happened again last night and also this morning. but maybe not cause this morning he was looking at me and then scooted away behind his cave. but i just got home from school and he was all happy and greetful and begging for bloodworms! maybe my fish is bipolar lol.
green tea...wouldn't that make the water all green? :p

the good news is that i see progress!
got some pics! 1st one is what i woke up to this morning. it was weird cause he usually flares at the camera, but he didnt even care. this is pretty much what he looked like last night too. laying there...
2nd one is fin growth! wooot! even though the other end of his dorsal fin is ready to fall off...
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #26 
Luimeril

fin growth! that's a VERY good sign! :D
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #27 
Sakura8

When I have to do 100% water changes, I use a clear plastic cup. Like the kind you drink punch out of at parties and proms. Just dip it in and 9 times out of 10, the suction sucks the little guy right in. Then you can just leave him in the cup while doing the water change. If he's a jumper, cover it with something so he can't escape.

Green tea actually makes the water all brown. The brown is the released tannins. :) The darker water simulates a betta's natural habitat and helps to destress them. You get the same brown water when you use IAL or oak leaves.

I'm liking what I see with the new fin growth. You're doing a fantastic job with him, roarsirroar.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #28 
roarsirroar

okay good thats what i normally do! its funny cause for the 1 gallon i used a smaller cup to put him in, and i guess he didn't like it. but today i used the one i used before he got sick (its like a volume cup) and he wasnt even stressed when i scooped him out!\

hmm do i have to buy the leave kind or can i just get the teabags? i'll ask my mom next time i go to the store.

thanks! i'm doing my best!<3
Old 10-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #29 
Sakura8

You can just get teabags. Make sure it's decaf green tea, no added flavors. I think Celestial Seasonins has some, or I've also heard Wal-Mart has their own brand.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #30 
roarsirroar

i'll be sure to look out for it!

argh. not really a sickness question but...
i accidentally left the opening of my freeze-dried bloodworms open. its been open for at least 4 hours now.
are they still good? or has their nutritious value depleted (err however you spell that)? i really hope not cause its pretty much full to the brim.