Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #41 
Sakura8

It's okay if there's a bit of yellow. Just watch him for any abnormal behavior changes. That's too bad about the tail but the medicines should help. As DarkMoon said, all that dead tissue has got to come off before new tissue can grow so I think that is what we're seeing. As long as the fin rot does not reach his body, we're making progress. :) He looks good. I'm glad to see his fins aren't clamped up.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #42 
roarsirroar

hey its been 5 days of doing this higher dosage thing. how many days am i supposed to medicate? and should i be doing normal dosages now?

hold on...update ahead (pictures loading...)
roarsirroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #43 
roarsirroar

day 5! so the big 'ol hole finally split. but the good news is that the dorsal fin is really coming back together! this morning he made this really cute bubble nest. 1st time in the last 7 days. i felt really bad for having to destroy it :(

he was quite active today before i did a water change. more than any of the days of meds! not sure what perked him up...maybe it was the traces of green tea xD

oh yeah i never noticed this but theres this white fuzzy stuff coated on his cave. i always rinse and wipe his cave during my water changes and i have seen the white stuff float around when i throw out the water, but i'm just confused of how it is forming (i mean theres no light, so it can't be algae, and all thats in there is the fish, the cave, the thermometer, stress coat+, and the meds.)
i dont have a picture but it looks like this (but not THAT crazy!):

todays photos are especially crappy!! sorry!!
the last photo was taken this morning, and the second one this evening. how much it grew!
Attached Images

Last edited by roarsirroar; 10-16-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:09 AM   #44 
Sakura8

My betta's log always gets that guck too. It's either slime coat that rubs off or just plain "snot." Harmless but annoying. And disgusting.

You may want to PM DarkMoon and ask her about the dosage since she's the one who prescribed it. She'll know best how long to treat him and and at what level. But it sounds like he's fighting on and making progress so that's good news. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #45 
Silverfang

Ah, that slime/snot, don't know what it is, but my snail LOVES it.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #46 
DarkMoon17

Eww I hate that slime stuff. Did you have that problem before treating him?

His fin is looking pretty good! It should be safe to lower the dose to just 1 packet. Mix it the same way as before. If it stops improving or gets worse then increase the meds again but I think he should be ok now since there has been so much regrowth. Continue with the meds for at least 5 more days with 100% daily water changes. Then stop meds and just do 100% daily water changes. If you have decaf unflavored green tea then that would be a good addition until he has finished healing. As our water often isn't the right softness/pH the fins don't always grow back right but tea softens and lowers the pH so there is a better change his fins will grow back how they were originally. Keep it up!

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 10-16-2011 at 01:09 PM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #47 
roarsirroar

no, i've never had to deal with this gross slime stuff! i checked on him this morning and the water was cloudy. it said on the med box that the water would cloud, but on a closer examination it was the SLIME! it was floating all in the water! it was so gross...

yeah i got the tea today! he was freaking out when i put the bag in. he seems okay now :)

don't have pics today...my camera is charging. but the dorsal grew a little, and the tail is still torn, but now on the edge of his anal fin its starting to turn transparent and theres also a little pinhole. argh!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #48 
Luimeril

Cup used to tear his fins all the time. i'm sure it'll heal right back up, all nice and purdy, before ya know it!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #49 
roarsirroar

i probably shouldn't have used flash...but i can't go back in time sooooooo
pics!
i saw this morning that his eye has this white lining on it. its not the tissue that connects the eye to the socket cause ive never seen it like this before. maybe it swelled? im just praying to god it doesnt turn into popeye!!

the dorsal is coming along fine but the tail is still sort of rotting (theres no pic of the tail...)

hes a bit jerky this morning. like an irregular pattern of swimming. (stop. swim. stop. swim. air. lay on ground. repeat proccess.)
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #50 
DarkMoon17

Hmm, do a 100% water change and remove all medications/tea. He may not have adjusted to it well. See how he does with just clean water, hopefully he'll stop. The eye does look like it could be the start of popeye but as long as you keep doing daily 100% water changes it shouldn't materialize into anything unless there is an underlying problem. Just watch it for now. Let us know how he responds to the 100% change.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote