Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #1 
TwilightNite

Dose anyone know what is happening to my baby?

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my elderly veil tail male Lightning, he is about 2.5years old, he has some problems.... 1. He has fin curling (he had fin curling when I got him, and if you are wondering I got him from a friend so it is not like I had him for 2.5yrs and never treated his fin curling, lol) 2. He and my other fish got in a fight when my other Betta Angel slipped through the divider now his fins are tore up and it almost seems like lightning tail is flaking out yes I said flaking, his tail seems brittle with lots of holes in it and had fin curling. I need a little help with this he is my sweet baby boy. I am sorry I have been posting in this section so much needing help with my fish I have been though a series of unfortunate events. Aside from that, here are some Pics of his tail..... I know, it looks horrible, *sobs*
Attached Images

TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Sometimes the curling is just a sign that the tail is regrowing... some bettas have their tail grow back in curls, usually after being shredded, chewed, fin rot... etc :) My friend's red betta has the same look!! Just watch out for fin rot... AQ salt is for fin rot, 1 tsp per gallon. fin rot may be inbetween the crevaces (usually black or a weird color that wasnt there before!), white fluff like stuff, blackened tips... and anything else someone wants to add :)

The "flaking" apart could be a sign of fin rot but I'm not sure!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #3 
TwilightNite

Thank you for all your help Sena Hansler! I will start doing AQ salt but he is in a 10 gallon can I just add AQ salt for 10 days and just stick to regular water changes? The flaking REALLY concerns me the most though.... It only came after their little fight. Do you think the curling will go away? I have had him since July.. I have not noticed any abnormal behavior yet, accept he is a little lethargic, is that just apart of just being old?
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

Aww he's a pretty guy!!!! The curling probably won't go away, and the brittleness is most likely from age. We have a royal blue male veiltail that's around 3.5 years old, and his fins are pretty raggedy looking too. Since he's so torn up, an AQ salt treatment might be a good idea. To do the treatment, place him in a small container that can be floated in the tank to maintain a consistent temperature. If it won't float, you can tape it or clip it to the side somehow. Pre-mix the treatment water in a gallon jug (milk jugs work great!), use a good dechlorinator and 1 tsp per gallon of epsom salt (only one teaspoon if you use the gallon jug). Use this water to change the water in his container 100% everyday for up to 10 days. Don't go any longer than ten days as it can hurt his kidneys. Another thing you could add to the salt treatment is Stresscoat, it's a special water conditioner that has aloe in it, it helps regrow fins and slimecoat. Our old man wasn't doing so good last night, so i changed his water and used stresscoat as the dechlorinator and he's much more active today =D
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I thought you weren't supposed to use AQ with Epsom? o.o;

Old man... lol... you callin' my one betta ancient? >.> lol he was my first and lasted til he was 7...
Old 10-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #6 
Myates

Yeah.. don't do AQ and Epsom at the same time. Curling fins don't usually go away, I got 2 with them that had them when I purchased them. Just keep him in clean water with regular water changes and he should be fine. Keep an eye for any blackened edging, as that is a sign of rot.
Stress coat is good for fin regrowth, so you can add a few drops in along with your regular water conditioner during your water changes to see if that helps any.
Salt I wouldn't use unless you know for sure it is rot.. Epsom is for internal issues, as this is a curling fin, using Epsom is useless, and dangerous if used with AQ salt.

If you have live plants or any other fish in the 10 gal, I wouldn't put in AQ salt (if you go that route) into the tank, it is best to put him in a small container (a one gal would be just fine) since you will have to do daily 100% water changes while he is in the salt. Use no longer then 10-14 days. If your QT tank is smaller then a gallon, premix the AQ salt/water conditioner in a gallon jug to use to change it out daily.

Last edited by Myates; 10-07-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

whoa, sorry guys, i told meant to write Aquarium salt, not epsom!!!!!! thanks for catching that, i feel terrible, that could have been bad D=
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #8 
Myates

lol it's okay, we all type one thing when thinking another at times =)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Yeah just caught it and made sure :p yeah plants will probably die. I know mine did!!! So quarantine is best bet... A simple Tupperware container works, that should hold 8 cups aka a gallon or more :)
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #10 
Myates

I honestly think just keeping up on the weekly water changes will be good enough. He doesn't show any rot, and you can't uncurl it.. salt treatment can be more stressful then needed. He isn't "old", kind of like a person in their 40s.. still don't want to put extra stress on him. Unless you see black edging and it's getting shorter/tearing off.. I'd just use clean water and some stress coat.

Tags
fin curling&holes, unfortunate