Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #1 
RustyFox

Tail biting question

I've had betta fish for the last 11 years and I didn't have a tail biter until my fiance decided to get one of his own. Now, I didn't know he was a tail biter til I looked at his tail this morning when I went to him and my other betta. I also made sure that I wasn't fin rot. I had to run to the store to get water because I had to change their water anyway so I got him a little ship thing to hide in so he'd feel more comfortable, I also moved him into the larger bowl that my fish was in, which is a 1g bowl, the one he was originally was a little more then half a gallon. When I get paid I plan on getting another gallon bowl so my fish isn't all cooped up, he has a little punch buggie that he can hide in though.

The main thing I'm wondering is if my fiance's fish will grow it's tail fine back.
Just curious because he's the first tail biter I've had. x.x
RustyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #2 
Curlyfatbottom

Really long fin betta...
Tend to bite there own fin....
I don't know y...
But my guess is that he hate the extra weight that he's carrying around.....
Don't worry the fin will grow back....
But the down fall is that it won't look the same....
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #3 
RustyFox

Well the one that's bitting his fin is a double tail, so his tail or tails I should say, weren't that heavy. My other one is a Halfmoon so I could understand if he was doing it.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #4 
Curlyfatbottom

Hmmm
Idk then...
But don't worry his fin will grow back....
One more question is he an agressive fish???
Flare at any thing dark....
Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #5 
RustyFox

Nope, not aggressive at all.
Both of my fish are pretty mellow.

And they're bowls are no where near each other so neither of them are stressed.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #6 
Curlyfatbottom

Hmm it's not an aggressive fish...
Or stress....
Some time if a fish get hungry...
They'll eat there own fin....
Old 10-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #7 
alysalouise

Tail Biters do it when stressed, bored, or their tail is just to much for them to carry
Just because he is a double tail doesnt mean it was to heavy for HIM, gotta remember each betta is different,
It could also be bordem
Or that he is stressed from being in a small inviroment, im sure he would enjoy a larger tank if possible
For the healing process, just upkeep on clean water, and some AQ salt would help alot
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 
RustyFox

I thought putting him in a larger tank would help so I put him in my other one, I need to get another one once I get the money.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #9 
Myates

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear you have a tailbiter. Those guys are hard to break of the habit. Moving him might help some, otherwise it may be a constant battle with him and keeping his water clean to avoid fin rot.
One thing I noticed in your first post, you mentioned you needed to go out and get water for a water change... what water are you using? Anything but tap water is actually bad for them.. they lack nutrients and minerals needed that the filter system for spring and distilled water takes out. It's always best to use tap water with water conditioner/dechlorinator. I know some store employees (grr) say to use distilled, and the cups at Walmart says spring water.. but those should not be used unless needed for specific balancing of parts of the chemistry and even then you only use a little bit.
Sorry if I read what you said wrong.. but just making sure!

Adding in AQ salt won't help the biting, and it won't help the healing since AQ salt can actually hamper the growth of the fin.. some may use it as a way of prevention.. but the best prevention is just clean water with water conditioner. If you want fin regrowth, Stress Coat is what you are after. You can either use it just as your primary conditioner, or you can add in a few drops along side of your conditioner. No need to put the extra stress and daily water changes for biting of the fins.. You don't want to use AQ salt unless you are using it as a treatment, it can cause problems for the fish's health long term, and he and the bacteria in the tank will become immune to the beneficial properties it does have if over exposed. So unless treating for rot, ich, etc.. it's not recommended to put in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatass View Post
Hmm it's not an aggressive fish...
Or stress....
Some time if a fish get hungry...
They'll eat there own fin....
Aggression/hunger have nothing to do with tailbiting. It's usually stress and heavy fins, sometimes boredom. A lot will bite their fins in transport, some lose the habit once they get into a new enviroment, some stop then start again, and others never stop. The stress from the transport causes it, stress to a new home (going into a larger tank) can cause it as well. But moving to a new home can stop it as well.. if it's tail related it's because going from a small cup/tank to a larger one, their muscles aren't as strong and sometimes they feel the drag and will num it.
But pretty much you just never know when/if one will become one and only thing you can really do to prevent it is make his living as stress free and plenty of plants/caves as well as being in a part of your home that is used often so he can see and watch what is going on around him.

Last edited by Myates; 10-08-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #10 
Luimeril

tail biting is getting more and more common. it's often caused by stress, boredom, or the weight of the tail. to stop it, you need to figure out WHY he's doing it.

is he an Halfmoon? they sometimes bite because their tails are too big.

can he see his reflection all the time, or another betta all the time? the stress from that, can cause them to bite their own tails out of frustration.

is there a current in his tank? sometimes, the current can stress them out if they have longer tails, and they'll bite it to relieve themselves of that stress.

are there lots of decorations in his tank? if there's too few decorations, he may be bored, and bite his tail to give him something to do(i had a delta who was like this.)

his tail WILL grow back, but it'll take time, and won't if you don't figure out the cause and put a stop to it. often, the simple act of giving him more decorations will stop it. my own delta, Dante, did it out of boredom. so, i gave him LOTS of plants, and he stopped it. if you want his tail to grow back a little faster, and better, get some Indian Almond Leaves. The tannins in them, help their tails grow back a little faster. i'm not sure HOW much faster, but it does help them grow back faster.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote