Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #1 
aurasoulful

Unhappy Gassy tank T^T

My ten gallon planted tank is all gassy. I poke the substrate and tons and tons of bubbles come up. It's endless... I'm going to get more plants, but I don't want to get rotten pockets. Am I doing the right thing by poking the dirt to death? I hate to break it all down :( If anybody has any tips, please send them my way. Thanks guys :D
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #2 
Micho

Smell your tank does it have a rotten egg smell? Have you tested your water for nitrIte and nitrAte? Apparently those two at high levels cause lots of bubbles from the substrate, although that might not always be the case. It could be trapped oxygen and since you poked it's been released.

I can only think of those things that might be your problem.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #3 
aurasoulful

When I get home, I'll test the water again. I've had high nitrates problem so it could be it. I'll smell the bubbles when they go up. I just got my MTS so they might not have traveled around deep enough yet. I just hope I can get it balanced in there soon. Thanks for responding Micho :D How's your tank doing?
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #4 
Micho

Kay~ You don't need to smell the bubbles, just smell the water. If you have plants and they're rotting, that's where the smell usually comes from. What's a MTS? And no problem always happy to help, my tank is doing great. Just cycled and added (too much) fish.

You can see a picture of it on the sticky Betta home thread.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:29 AM   #5 
aurasoulful

LOL My water smells like a forest after a light rain XD But it doesn't smell bad so far.. But I'll smell it again when I get home in a bit. I hope it doesn't get ruined.. I will be very upset :( Glad to hear your tank is cycled and doing well. I just got some duckweed, maybe it will consume the nitrates to prevent foulness. I'll keep you posted! Wish me luck! I most likely need it
Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #6 
MoePaac

Yes, you are doing the right thing. The MTS will help as well... but keep poking until they really get settled in. More plants will help as well (stem) as they will get oxygen down into the soil.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #7 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurasoulful View Post
My ten gallon planted tank is all gassy. :D

So is my husband.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #8 
Trobar

HAHA ^ aren't you the lucky one Leeniex.

Micho, MTS are Malaysian Trumpet Snails, they help keep the soil good for plants
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #9 
aurasoulful

LOL that was good Leeniex XD Yeah, I'm poking until I'm swormed by MTS. Definately need to fill the tank up with more plants. Just all that gas build-up startled me.. Needs to be burped regularly I guess.. LOL Thanks everybody! *Goes to burp tank*
Old 10-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Releasing bubbles are not always a bad sign and is normal and expected in newly set up systems especially with soil......it should calm down as it matures and the MTS will help release the air pockets as they burrow and more plants are always good...lol.....just keep smelling the tank...as long as you don't smell rotten eggs...all if fine and normal.....I would back off a tiny bit on poking the soil too....2-3 times a week should do it and the MTS and plant roots will do the rest....once you hit the 3 month mark I would stop poking all together......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote