Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #1 
Water Faerie Naomi

Betta fish serious help please

Okay, so I had my betta little under a year, and here is my problem:

He use to suffer from fin rot but it started to heal,
In the front of his fins near his body started turn red. I didn't notice it till it spread. So I cleared his water and do partial water change every week. About half. But it's still spreading (by the way I add Aquari-sol antibiotic) : How do I treat that?

He started floating on his side and had trouble swimming. I assume I accedently feed him to many of the frozen dried blood worms. So I let him be for a day, but he refuses to eat. So I found out don't feed him for two days and then feed him peas. But he still refuses to eat.

He hangs around the back of the filter. What do I do??
--
1 gallon vertical.
Food- blood worms.
By the way: He is turning clear. :(
--
Any help at all?
Water Faerie Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

How often are you changing the water? What temperature is the water?

Can you get a picture of him to give us an idea of what is wrong with where?

Do not try and feed him peas. That is a method for goldfish. Bettas are carnivorous and cannot digest the pea. If he's not pooping, why put more in?

Is his stomach bloated up? You said he was swimming on his side a little bit too. Does he have trouble swimming up or down?

Fast him for 2 days, but don't feed peas. If he is not better after fasting, put him on 1 tsp/gal epsom salt (Premix in some tank water before adding it to the tank. There shouldn't be any salt crystals left when you add it). He should be on this until a day or two after his troubles are resolved or for 10 days. Change all of his water every day while he is on the epsom salt.

For a 1 gallon tank, you'll want to do at least 1 50% and 1 100% weekly to keep him healthy and ammonia down.

Try and switch him over to a good brand of pellets for his main diet and use the blood worms as a weekly treat instead of a staple diet.

Last edited by Pataflafla; 10-07-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 
Myates

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your little guy is sick =(

I have a few questions, if you could answer please =)

I see it's a 1gal tank..

How often and what is the % of water do you change? (I believe you said you started doing 50% per week, but making sure that is your normal routine)
Do you use a dechlorinator/water conditioner?
What is the temp of the tank?

Fin rot is a fungus brought on when a fish splits/rips/bites his tail and is living in dirty water. To treat it you will need to get some Aquarium Salt, which you can buy in any LFS, Walmart also sells it cheap.

You should do 100% water change now and don't add in any more of that medication..

I would go ahead and do 2 teaspoons per one gallon of water (adding in your normal water conditioner), and you must do daily 100% water changes. Do that for 10-14 days, no longer. If it is not gone by then, you can use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. **Make sure you pre-dissolve the salt prior to adding him to it**

For future reference: For a 1 gallon, you should be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week. Always using your water conditioner, full dose for the 50%. The tank water should be 78-82*F, any lower he will in time become lethargic/low immunity.
Freeze Dried anything is bad to feed on a daily/regular basis. It has high crude protein, but it lacks in other nutrients needed that pellets have. You will want to feed 4-6 pellets a day spread between 2-3 feedings. Freeze dried foods are a treat, no more then 1-2 times a week in place of a meal, 2-3 presoaked in tank water prior to feeding. FD foods are notorious for bloating, that and lack of the other nutrients makes them not idea for their sole food intake.

Don't recommend the pea method. Some do it.. but it is actually for bloated/constipated goldfish.. bettas are insectivores, and they cannot digest the pea. Frozen daphnia is better.. otherwise just fasting for 2-3 days is the best, along with Epsom Salt. (Don't use Epsom Salt with AQ salt)

So for now, do 100% water change, don't feed for a day, and start the AQ salt treatment. If he is having trouble swimming up for air, then I would lower his water to 3-4 inches above the bottom. If you have to lower the water, then I recommend using a gallon jug (like the ones water come in, just make sure it's tap water) and mix in the AQ salt and the water conditioner and use that to do the daily 100% water changes.

I wish you luck and the best, if you have any more questions, just ask and keep us updated =)

Woops.. sorry Pala.. took too long posting this (was off and on helping daughter.. so didn't mean to double post what you recommended)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #4 
Water Faerie Naomi

Okay.
I stopped adding the anti-biotics.

I already completely cleaned out the tank. Gravel and all. Will continue doing.

Noted on the pea thing. And I'll change his food to pellets and see if he eats.
And get aquarium salt. I have API aquarium salt. I assume that will do.

All my water is well water, not city.

Here are picture.
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/IMG_1056.jpg
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/IMG_1055.jpg
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/IMG_1054.jpg
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #5 
Pataflafla

There's no bubbler in the tank, right? He may not like the bubbles and the water current it makes if there is one. You could maybe try baffling the filter output too with an aquarium sponge.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #6 
Water Faerie Naomi

AAAGHHH!!! He still refuses to eat!!! I switch to my sister's pellets. But it's not making a difference. I'll switch the filters.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

Fast him for a few days so that he's hungry before trying to switch him since he's not willing. After a day or two, off her him a pellet and see if he's willing to try it. If not, then don't feed him the rest of the day.

This method may seem cruel, but your betta should be ok without food for a few days. In the long run the pellets will be healthier for him.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #8 
Water Faerie Naomi

Okay. But now his eyes are starting to pop out. Poor guy. What now?

He is attempting to do all he can to swim lower. Cuz he keeps swimming near the surface cuz that stomach sickness is acting like a floatation device. He can move, all fins moving. But he cannot swim lower.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

If his eyes are swelling, that's usually indicative of poor water quality. It's called Pop eye and can be solved with epsom salt. Him not being able to swim lower is an issue with his swim bladder. this can also be solved with epsom salt.

Premix 1 tsp/gal Epsom salt in clean water with dechlorinator. Do a 100% change on his tank (Or qt him) and use this water. you'll want to change out all of his water daily. Keep him on the Epsom Salt water for 2 days after his issues resolve or for 14 days.

If, in 5 days, his issues are still present without change or have gotten worse, increase the concentration to 2 tsp/gal.

It has to be Epsom salt for this. Aquarium salt will only worsen his swim bladder issue and will not help his pop eye. you also have to change his water 100% daily to maintain water quality (For the pop eye) and so that redosing the Epsom salt is accurate.

Tags
floating on side, not eating, not moving, red