Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
MoneyFish

20 gallon tank...need suggestions!

Alright, I have officially become obsessed with aquariums. I started out with a betta in a gallon bowl. Then I found this site....and now I now have a 5 gallon filtered/heated tank for Wentworth and a 10 gallon split filtered/heated tank for Money and new aquabid betta, Sushi (and am considering splitting a third time for a 3rd betta). I have ordered live plants, good quality food, look at what you guys are doing to me!!

My boss at work has a 20 gallon that she is just going to give me. Comes with hood, filter, lights, heater, the works!!! I really don't have room for a 20 gallon, but how can I refuse a free 20 gallon set up?

So as much as I adore my bettas, I want to try some other tropical type of fish as well. I absolutely love the look of loaches, they are too cute! Is a 20 gallon big enough for a few of them? What other type of fish would you recommend for a beginner? Can I mix different type of fish? I know a 20 gallon isn't huge, so I don't want to make a rookie mistake and put too many fish in, or the wrong type of fish with each other. Thanks for the help!
MoneyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #2 
ConorM

I would suggest Tetras. Some say they are fin nippers but bettas don't put up with it and they stop. I think like 10 tetras, any kind that fit(personally I like phantoms). Introduce tetras 5 per week, because all at once can hurt your bio-load. If you want to be really safe, do 3-4 per week. I would add the betta in last, so he won't establish/guard territory from the tetras. A weather loach fits in that tank. If you keep pH at 6.2-7.0 all these will work. Tetras can handle lower pH, though. BTW this is the tank the 3rd betta should be in. If you split a 3rd time no one will have enough space. Good luck!

Last edited by ConorM; 10-10-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Forgot something
ConorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #3 
Myates

Some of the loaches are fine.. I love clown loaches, etc. I would look up the different types, find one that you like, see the sizes it gets, the temperament, etc and go from there. Here is a list of different types. Unsure what is available in your area though.
Tetras are great, platies, swordtails and mollies are fun and easy as well.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #4 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConorM View Post
I would suggest Tetras. Some say they are fin nippers but bettas don't put up with it and they stop. I think like 10 tetras, any kind that fit(personally I like phantoms). Introduce tetras 5 per week, because all at once can hurt your bio-load. If you want to be really safe, do 3-4 per week. I would add the betta in last, so he won't establish/guard territory from the tetras. A weather loach fits in that tank. If you keep pH at 6.2-7.0 all these will work. Tetras can handle lower pH, though. BTW this is the tank the 3rd betta should be in. If you split a 3rd time no one will have enough space. Good luck!
A 3 way in a 10 gallon is fine - a little over 3gals per fish is a great amount of space =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote