Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #1 
thedaan

Betta Help Needed

Hi everyone...Okay heres the story..I had two bettas in two vase like structures..I decided to get them a 2.5 gal hex tank from petco...I got them new gravel and a heater...now used half of their water and half new water conditioned properly....once I put them in they seemed to swim around awhile but the next day they were both kind of lethargic and just laying on the bottom..I waited a day and did a 50% water change in both tanks..

....both tanks are around 78 degrees....today I looked at one of our fish and he was breathing really heavy on the bottom...he wasnt doing that earlier today..now he looks like he ready to die...the other is swimming slowly around certainly not himself..Not sure if I did anything wrong.

I had my water tested at Petco they said it was fine..not sure what to do really...could it be the heater..its the elite heater by hagen..I did notice that the temperature can range sometimes..like this morning the temp was 77 degrees now its 78 degrees..not sure if that makes a difference..any help would be appreciated...
thedaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #2 
jman828

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I would change all of the water and rinse any gravel and decoratiosn well in hot water.

Are they sharing the 2.5? They may be tired from flaring at each other. Hopefully you're not keeping them together without a divider. Two bettas together, regardless of gender, for anything but breeding is always very dangerous.

For your 2.5 gal you'll want to do 1 50% and 1 100% if there is only one betta in there. i'd say you'd want to up it to 2 100% weekly if it's divided.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #4 
thedaan

No they were in seperate tanks....Each had their own tank...Does anyone think it could be the gravel? We washed the gravel out pretty good but didnt do it in hot water...we did it in warm water...I'll post to the questionaire above...right now our crowntail looks pretty bad..I put him in a small container so he can breathe as he was laying on the bottom gasping on his side...
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #5 
thedaan

Housing
What size is your tank? 2gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top fin pellets and Freeze dried betta worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2/3 pellets a day with 1 day off and freeze dried betta worms every other day only a few as a snack..

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 50% water change last night..put them in their new tank Monday evening
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Plus Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Do not have a test kit..but had our wtap water tested and our water+dechlorinator tested and both were good according to Petco..
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, breathing heavy, laying near the bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After both were put into their new tanks.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No just did a 50% water change...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? One is small so I think heskinf of young..the toher we just got a few weeks ago..hes larger..really not sure..