Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #1 
Larsa

uh...Coelenterates?

uggghhhh I have these WEIRD things all of a sudden in my 10 gal aquarium! They look like a form of hydra, aiptasia, or crinoid I wanna say... like weird! They are very small and clear right now. The tank is a warm 75 F and my girls are fine, they dont seem to notice them. They are rooted on my plants, rocks, and the tank itself! I dont like them. I have recently added a lot of live plants into the tank which include: japanese ruch, cardamine lyrata, Bacopa caroliniana, betta bulbs, and some duckweed. One of my plants, the japanese rush, has a dead yellow leaf. How do I get rid of these thingies!? I dont have to do a full water change, do I? Hopefully these are harmless and wont kill my fish! T-T I have heard gouramis eat hyrdas, but idk about bettas. Help, please.... @-@

here is a crappy picture. like I said these guys are little. They kinda act like rooted crinoids, flowing in the current but are still attatched firmly to the side.
Attached Images

Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #2 
Larsa

hmmmmm...... no one has seen these? Could this possibly be a form of fungi, collotheca, or a plant reproducing? I gave my 10 gal a full water change and washed everything thouroughly- and it keeps comming back. What could this be? @-@ *brainstumped*
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
heathbar

Kinda looks like Bryozoa to me.

Check out this guide on PT for more info

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...nize-them.html

Size: individual creatures are only a few millimetres long, the colony can be tens of centimetres long

Bryozoans are interesting colonial creatures. They look a bit like corals with the hard skeleton structure of the colony. The individual creatures, zooids, are inside their own small part of the colony and they eat small particles (phytoplankton, zooplankton) floating in the water by guiding them (and water) towards their mouth opening with the fan like tentacles. If disturbed, the zooids will retract their tentacles inside the colony walls. They are harmless and really interesting.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #4 
heathbar

After giving them a closer look I don't think they are what I originally thought but they don't look harmful either. If they are hydra, they shouldn't be harmful to your betta and he might even enjoy eating them.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #5 
pooploser

hey hey
thats exactly what i had going on in my tanks, but i never found out what they were. im pretty sure i had duckweed in my tank at that time, but most of it melted and the rest were killed off by the filter.
the mystery things went away after i cut back on the lighting. i think left the lights off completely for a few days. and i stepped up my water changes.
hope it helps and hopes someone figures out what they were
pooploser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

They are kinda cool looking. If they arent harmful, I'd let them stick around.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote