Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #11 
Myates

I would ask Oldfishlady about the soil since she knows a lot about NPTs, did you test it to see what the chemistry was? As far as acclimate.. did you take out water from the cup and add in water from the tank? 6 hours is a long time, so should of acclimated if you did it that way.. if so, then there is still something in there causing it. Possibly the sand or the plants or the soil.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #12 
Betta311

I put sponge filters in that i made,maybe the sponges?i tested for ammo.ia and it was like .15 I did a water change also.im think ES treatment.
Betta311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #13 
Betta311

So,i removed the sponge filters, problems with max:clamped fins,wont eat,keeps his body un an idd s shape.problems with sarah: won't eat,floats up top still as can be,whole body looks slightly bloated,scales are outlined in like black but not raised up, won't eat...waters 78,amonia is fine,live amazon in organic top soil from lowes,no filter,heater,5 gal..
Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Need more info....

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, filter, live plants, additive used, tank mates, how long have you had him and if new or recent 100% water change how did you acclimate back to the tank.....

Right now I would make a 50% water only change and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank(very important step), turn off the light and lower the water level if needed, if it has a filter I would turn that off or place in a QT container after the water change and float in the tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range....

Wait.....is this a soil based tank without plants with a Betta in it? If so, get the Betta out NOW......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-08-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #15 
Betta311

I posted everything.this is an npt capped with sand.live amazon in it about 8 stalks the tanks are 5 gallons,i acclimated them both from 1g vases to these 5 gal tanks and within an hour I noticed a problem...no tank mates,have had both about 2 months in the 1 gallons.acclimated them by floating their cups for an hour then added some tank water floated a while more then letem in.UPDATE,i just hit the light and max was twitching,like a seizure and his bellys swollen..i dont think it was earlier.i removed both of them and put them back into the 1 gal vases and treated water with PRIME.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like either osmotic shock, sulfide poison or chlorine/chloramine poison.....I would get them in a small Qt and start change water with some fresh like temp heavy dechlorinated water...10% every 5 min and if you have any tannins add this to both the cup and the water used for water changes....if you have Epsom salt use 3tsp/gal.....good luck...usually they don't survive this......dim lit dark, no water movement........
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #17 
Betta311

So change 10% of water every 5 minutes with dechlorinated water..ugh I really hope he doesnt die..
Old 10-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

In soil based tanks...it is really important to have at least 75% of the floor planted with stem plant and 25% of the top with floating plants...this is what keeps the water fish safe...sword plants are great, however, they don't feed enough in the water column to keep the water safe for livestock......good luck......I hope your Bettas pull through.....

Yes, small amounts-but not in the tank...in a small QT container...since he is already stressed...too big of chemistry changes can be deadly....double up on the Prime.......
Old 10-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #19 
Betta311

Doing it
Old 10-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #20 
Betta311

Hes in a 1g,premade water im changing out 10% every 5 min,we are in my warm bathroom with alnost no light,added ES to his water...this is not fun...i researched npt...apparently not enough.so what else do I need in my npt tank ya think?got lots of amazon what else for stem?what do you use for floating?