Help with my sick betta

Housing
What size is your tank?
5 gal tank
What temperature is your tank?
26 deg cels
Does your tank have a filter?
yes, internal
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no
Is your tank heated?
yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
another male betta, separated

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
betta flakes, dried black worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?
once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
only recently got the tank, changed water once (weekly). was an ignorant owner for the first few months and did weekly 100% change in a bowl
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
none. just bought AQ salt. just added

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
not tested
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
belly sunken, white marks just beyond the gills and below the head, fin and colour are dull
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
not active
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
quite awhile now, say a month. which lead to research and the new tank, filter, and heater purchased last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
10 weeks

advise on how to treat would be much appreciated. His tank mate, a betta a friend gave me show some white marks below the head too but not as pronounced. worried its contagious and the second one might get quite sick too
eowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #2 
Myates

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear your fish are sick...

Do you have a picture of them to show us so that we can help diagnose better? Until then all I can really suggest is what you should change to give them a better home..

First off.. do a 100% water change, don't add in any AQ salt (that is used for fin rot, ich, etc treatments). It has potential to harm them over long use if not used for a specific treatment. As well as they and the bacteria will become immune to the beneficial properties of it so when/if it is ever truly needed, it won't work as well. When using AQ salt for the treatments it is 1-3tsp/gal with daily 100% water changes.. but again, right now it sounds as if there is no need for it.

You need water conditioner/dechlorinator. Use with every water change, full dose even for partial changes. Use that and do weekly water changes should work.. and I would do that asap.

In the 5 gallon you will be wanting to do 1 50% per week with 1-2 100% per month to keep the water clean. It may "look" clean, but ammonia and bacteria and such will build up and will harm/kill them.

To me it sounds as if it is a mix of ammonia/chlorine type of poisoning. What size tanks were they in previous and how often did you do the water changes? Since you said they've been sick for a while and you just recently got the 5 gal.

As for feeding.. it sort of sounds as if malnourished. Pellets should be their staple of food.. 4-6 a day, spread through 2-3 feedings a day.. once a day is not enough. You have a chance to either over feed them and cause bloat, or starve them. They need small, multiple feedings a day, just like us and any other animal...
Flakes are notorious for bloating and causing the water to cloud.. you just have to make sure to take out any that is uneaten right away. And freeze dried anything should not be fed daily. They have the high % crude protein, but they lack other nutrients needed, that they get from foods such as pellets, frozen, live foods. Freeze dried will also bloat if you do not presoak in tank water prior to feeding. They should be fed 1 sometimes 2 times a week, 2-3 at a time in place of a meal. They are treats, not a staple meal.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote