Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #21 
Banicks

I can't see the pictures again purple, at work grrr!

Cause of finrot is usually unclean water, but you've been undertaking 100% daily waterchanges. So that's a mystery. The important thing to do for now is continue with your 100% daily water changes to ensure that his finrot is halted, and continue with SBD medication in my opinion. It is vital to get him healthy on the inside before treating the outside.

Once SBD is resolved, you can then move onto his finrot using AQ salt treatment. Can't use the two salts together unfortunately!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #22 
purplemuffin

Right, I figured. I've definitely been doing the 100% water changes daily. I guess it must have been there before, but i swear I could not see it. Maybe I am seeing it now that he is opening his fins more?

Right now I'm prepping more water for his next water change. It is amazing how dirty the water gets in such a short amount of time. I don't understand how people with small tanks can handle waiting so long to do a water change. Yuck!

Seems really lethargic tonight. Hopefully he's just tired.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-13-2011 at 01:18 AM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #23 
purplemuffin

I've just been using my usual water conditioner(prime), but should I invest in stress coat? Would it help with the fins and his comfort level in this situation, since you can't mix AQ salt and Epsom salt?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #24 
purplemuffin

So, another update.

Definitely still having issues swimming. But he seems to be getting there. When he holds still he flops over on his side though. BUT I have been able to raise the water level up a bit as he is stronger and able to make it to the top of the water with ease. He just seems to choose to stay at the bottom of the water--I guess he seems to be dragged down there.

He doesn't slide on the ground anymore, he swims with his fins on the bottom barely touching or floating above the ground. Sometimes he seems to have more energy, but sometimes he seems really lethargic, which worries me. I don't know, is he bored?

Right now, he acts like the bettas you see in the cups at a store. Mostly just sitting still, but will dart away and swim if you pick them up or startle them.

Though I moved his tank, and it seems he swims around when he doesn't see me paying attention. He's started to come up to the glass to look at me more, so he's at least showing some curiosity.

Anyway, pictures from today, to show his improvement, or for others to help me catch if there is anything good or bad that I missed.

Hehe, after he ignored a pellet for quite some time I tried to trick him into eating a single pellet. I soaked it and then cut it into worm shaped pieces. He went after it immediately and took a bit bite, and then spit it right back up and gave me the evil eye! Little stinker!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:08 AM   #25 
Sakura8

Purple, have you tried soaking his pellets in garlic juice? Find fresh garlic and mince it, then mix it with some tank water and soak a few pellets for a short time.

Don't worry about the blackened edges right now, the epsom salt will help to keep his fins from getting too bad.

Purple, it looks as if he may have hurt his back. It's the way his back is kind of hunched over that makes me think this. You can especially see it in the second to last pic in the post just before this one. Think back, did he do anything where he might have wrenched it a little?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #26 
purplemuffin

Have been soaking them in garlic, he just doesn't seem interested! Will try again though!

No idea what could have hurt his back. The curve scared me too, that's what made people around me think it was TB(they said the betta gets a hunch back etc. etc.)

The day before this happened I had done a partial water change. Maybe he could have gotten hurt then? He has been dragging his back most of the time, like he's trying not to move his back end much. He has started using it again as of yesterday, he actually can wiggle his tail and 'dart' through the tank.

I guess it could have gotten hurt during the change, maybe while getting pulled into the cup?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #27 
Sakura8

I'm quite sure it's not TB so no worries there. Rather, it seems as if he's wrenched a nerve or has gotten paralyzed a bit. I have a betta with a permanent back issue (got him like that) and he has the same hunched back and he drags his back end. He can't swim properly so he swims in an upright position, kind of like a little ghost fluttering along. Luckily, it sounds like your guy is recovering from his injury. Definitely keep him in the epsom salt. In the meanwhile, we've gotta figure out how to get the guy to eat.

I know most bettas don't always like eating off the bottom of the tank. Have you tried dangling bloodworms in front of him using tweezers or something like that? Maybe your guy would be more inclined to eat if he could swim up to his food?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #28 
purplemuffin

Oh, he'll eat bloodworms, just not pellets. I just don't know if the bloodworms are a good staple, but they have been what he has been eating mostly during this whole ordeal.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Frozen or freeze-dried? If they're frozen, it's okay. Pellets are best as the daily diet but if he won't eat them, it's better that he eats only frozen bloodworms than goes on a hunger strike. I have one betta who will only eat frozen bloodworms. Nothing else.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #30 
purplemuffin

Frozen bloodworms! I didn't pick up any freeze dried. This was his first time having him, and now he's absolutely obsessed!

Um, how do you choose how much to feed? Since I was nervous with the whole SBD thing, I've been feeding a very small amount. How much do you feed when you feed frozen blood worms?