Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #1 
Fieldz

Talking Are snails really a problem?

The fishstore near my house sells some amazing apple snail. They are so cool and whenever I go there I keep watching them move around, cleaning and doing their best.

Questions:
Are they really a problem? They tend to reproduce alot and POOP the double of what they eat, dont they? I only want to buy a single one for my aquarium. What should I expect of this single snail, in, lets say, 6 months? over 40 snails?

What do you feed them? Cabbage, leafs,..?

I wanted to buy a snail to entertain my betta and to give more ``life´´ to my aquarium. Would a betta and a snail be FINE (important) TOGETHER in a 5.8 Gal ?

Thank you all so much. I am waiting for the answers and so is my betta

Last edited by Fieldz; 10-08-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

....apple snails, reproduce often? No way. lol. They are unlike the more common snails, that are the pest snails. Apple snails need a partner to reproduce as they are separate genders! Even then it's easy to scoop out the egg nest (above waterline is where they have it) if you did not want them...
Depending on your betta an apple snail is perfect. some make smaller snails an attempted snack... My Madame murdered my snail, but any of my other bettas never cared for him. Snails will eat leftover food, algae... you can get algae wafers for them, or a soft piece of vegetable.

The size of the tank is good for those two :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #3 
Fieldz

Ok. I am going on vacation december for 16 days. While that, my fish will be baby sitted ( will pay 40 dollars to only come to my house, drop 4 pellets and go away ).
After that, I will buy a snail for the aqua. I WILL :)
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Good idea :) and it's a good idea to have the tank with the betta in it (cycled preferably) before adding other critters like snails. This'll ensure the snail has food, and will live longer and healthier! :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote