Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #1 
cmr5633

Help! I think he has fin rot! :( new betta owner

I need someone to help me, I just recently got my betta a few weeks ago, and im afraid he has fin rot :( Phillip is in a 2.5 gal tank with a filter, he has a heater but it has been warm latley so i havent been using it, his tank has been abour 80-83 degrees without it. I only just noticed a black crust on most of his fins. I noticed it last night and today i noticed he has white tips on his pectoral fins (something hes never had) i did a water change today. i currently add aqueon water conditioner and betta water renewal. i feed him aqueon tropical flakes (all three of these came with the tank) i am a full time college student and i know i should change his water more but i only get around to it once a week. im wondering if i should move him to his travel container to treat him?? it is VERY small, but it is all i have aside from his large home. his behavior hasnt changed, he's still as curious as ever, but im worried he will soon get worse. im not exactly sure of the treatment, like what exactly to buy or anything like that. i really care about him and would hate to see him get worse. please help me. :(
im sorry about the blurry pictures
Attached Images

cmr5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #2 
morla

My beta has fish rot too. We are giving her some medicine and it's getting better. I just barely joined on this forum and it's awesome!
morla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Well, try doing a full water change twice a week :) I noticed that in usually 2.5 gallons and under, water changes are more crucial :) There is stuff people on here use from a brand called Jungle... I haven't used it, but many people have. Also, AQ salt can help alot BUT you'll need to do a 100% water change daily for that method..
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

It hard for me to tell much by the pics....but you say the area in question looks crusty and blacken...correct.....the white tips are most likely a normal part of his coloration and from what I can see the black edges look like normal pigment too...but like I said its hard for me to tell much by the pics....so I have to take your word that they are also crusty not curled since this can be...I won't say normal- but more common and not really something you would treat per se.......

You have had him for 2 weeks and have made how many water changes at what percent....This is a filtered 2.5gal tank-temp 80-83F, dechlorinator and Betta water renewal (what is this) is the only additive used, eating and acting okay....

If the edges are black and crusty-not black and curled-10 day treatment with aquarium salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes in the small holding cup-using premixed treatment water...

In a 2.5gal filtered tank-water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method should maintain water quality-provided that uneaten food is removed within a reasonable time and he is not overfed.....
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month

You could also-just do a clean dechlorinated water treatment in his tank....50% daily for 5 days....then on a regular schedule of twice weekly 50% to maintain water quality......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-08-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #5 
Luimeril

ya don't even need the salt, honestly. just clean water often helps with fin rot. tannins help the fin grow back faster. just up the water changes, like OFL said.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #6 
cmr5633

i change his water usually once a week at 30%, so i will deffinatly find time to increase that...the betta water renewal is baisically a trace element addetive specifically for bettas, i heard it got really great reveiws which is why i use it. do you think in the meantime i should transfer him to the travel size container or wait to see if he gets better with the increased water changes? and also i feed him one very small pinch of flakes 2x a day, do you think i should get soemthing else, such as bloodworms, so i feed him flakes in the morning and bloodworms at night? im not sure if changing his diet a bit will keep him healthy?
cmr5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #7 
Luimeril

i never put my bettas in other containers when they're sick or have fin rot. i find it easier, and less stressful for them, to keep them in their current tanks during treatment. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I have found using a controlled environment (QT) and premixing treatment water- to work best for me when treating....this way I can rule out other cause, better for observation, ease in water changes, limits movement, ease in floating in a heated tank if needed, premixed Tx water to ensure correct dosage and the all important part of treatment-100% water changes...
Small, clear, bare bottom, limited contents-like the container most Bettas are sold in work great for a temporary treatment container..
If the Betta seems too stressed I will wrap the container with dark paper and I alway place water lettuce in it so they feel more secure.

Besides quality water-proper nutrition is really important for general health and healing....without a good diet the Betta can't support a strong immune response
A good quality food is really important-the more varied the better-what one is missing the other may have...I would recommend adding both a pellet type food and blood worms to the mix...feeding each type once a day....making small meals 3-4 times daily......proper nutrition is really important......

Right now I would leave him in his tank and do fresh, like temp, dechlorinated water treatment with 50% daily water changes for 5 days then get on a regular schedule as posted earlier......if he has any changes or get worse...then I would QT and start aquarium salt treatment......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #9 
Silverfang

Just to clarify, frozen blood worms are preferred over freeze-dried. I find a high protein diet helps with fin regrowth.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #10 
Bluebell

Hello :)

i think i know how to make your fishy better.
try and get a medicine bottle for fish called "betta fix" im sure its sold in pet shops. (its a blue bottle) once you have purchased it, do a 100% water change. add the amount of drops they have mentioned on the label at the back of the bottle. when you know exactly how many drops to put each day (depending on how much water you have in the tank) do this for just a week. every morning put drops of betta fix and mix it around. and if you put food remember to do 25% water changes and pick out the food that he hasn't eaten EVERYDAY so the water is really clean. after a week of putting drops of beta fix do a 100% water change. throughout this whole thing make sure the temperature is the right tempreture maybe slightly warmer

hope he will get better soon! :)
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, new betta owner