Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Fixing long dorsal to a line

I guess this question is mainly meant for OFL, since she's the only one I know who's done it. But if anyone has any info/experience regarding this topic, ...please share.

Anyway, can long dorsals be fixed into a line? I don't mean slightly longer than regular, but almost as long as DT's dorsal. Even better - can long and big dorsals be fixed into a line - that when it's out bred to a regular, some of the fry will always have big and long dorsals

I have never tried more than twice reintroducing DT and the offspring's dorsal always return normal. So if it is possible, how would you go about it.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

I would assume just breeding for DT. Like a lot of my marble stock have thin dorsals so I have to breed into my DT male and then probably a daughter back to him. I'm not sure how long you can really make a dorsal in an ST fish...Is this what you mean?

MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #3 
Dragonlady

Are you referring to extended dorsals that are wider than your average betta? This is definitely from crossing to doubletails. My recent 1st place ST winner at an IBC show has at least 18 rays in her dorsal fin.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes, I'm thinking of making a line of single tails with longer and larger dorsals (look like a DT's dorsal). I don't merely want DT genos.

Thus far I haven't really attempted to do this. I only re-cross to DT probably twice (in one line) and eventually they always return normal. I can't get the long/wide dorsal fixed into st to breed true. If this isn't possible, then I would have to keep DT and constantly crossbreed which I'm reluctant to do.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #5 
Dragonlady

If both ST bettas of a pair are selected for extended(long) dorsals with more rays than a typical ST, they will almost always have some doubletail fry, IME. It is a bit challenging to get consistent sharp caudal edges on an extended dorsal betta.... while the fish with normal dorsals always get the nice caudal edges.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes I know what you mean. But that's what makes them so interesting - nothing is definite nor easy...... and when you do succeed, the satisfaction is beyond words.