Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

African Dwarf frog with male betta?

hey do you think they would get along? also would 3.5g tank (filtered and heated) be too small for them to live together?
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #2 
ksage505

Betttas and african dwarf frogs usually get along well, but your aquarium is too small for an african dwarf frog. They need a ten gallon.

Edit: Oops, my bad. I'm getting my frogs mixed up here. Clawed need the ten gallons, not dwarfs. Here is a care page on african dwarfs that might help you out.

http://aquariumfish.net/catalog_page...dwarf.htm#top2

Last edited by ksage505; 10-09-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: wrong info
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #3 
Micho

I would this would not be possible simple due to the fact that ADFs are social beings, meaning they you would need 2+.

I believe in the rule 1 gallon per one frog, they're not very messy and they don't have a huge bioload unlike fish. But yeah, if you had a five gallon you could have done two frogs with one Betta but seeing how you only have 3.5 I wouldn't suggest it.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #4 
BettaMiah

They usually would be okay. Your tank is just fine, but I would test it before you go off and get a frog.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #5 
Ajones108

I don't know about ADFs, but I DO know that Candy-Clawed Frogs (look like white ADFs) will eat any fish smaller than they are. Also, I'm not sure how ADFs will do in an unfiltered tank. My roommate had an ADF in a small, less than 1g critter keeper and the frog died within a week. They might do better in a cycled, filtered, heated tank that is better established.

Then again, she never had a talent for fish keeping...
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

http://www.flippersandfins.net/adfcaresheet.htm

http://theaquariumwiki.com/DAF

For the love of god, please do not listen to BettaMiah about the care of ADFs...

These links will take you to the best websites about the care of ADFs, and they were given to me by experts in the field, a couple of which were vets.

In a 3.5 gallon tank you could have one frog, the betta will overload the system unless you double your water changes. I would rec recommend that ADFs be kept in nothing smaller than five gallons for a pair, or a frog and the betta.

ADFs do NOT need to be kept in groups for their health, yes they are social, but they do well by themselves if they are not the only creature in the tank. The only reason people say two or more is because the more you have, the more active they are.

Please refer to these websites for more detailed info, and PM me if you have any more questions, ive been keeping ADFs for many many years.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #7 
Gizmothefreaky

Sorry about the double post, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksage505 View Post

Holy crap... That link has so much WRONG information it makes me cringe... >.<
Old 10-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #8 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
Sorry about the double post, but...

Holy crap... That link has so much WRONG information it makes me cringe... >.<
Wow, really? Hmm, I've always had pretty good luck with that website for care info. I don't mean frogs specifically, I've never looked there personally for that. I've mostly used it for information on my cichlids. As far as I am aware, most of the info I got for them on the cichlids was correct and can be supported by other sources.

Well, sorry for incorrect info!

What do you think about this website?

http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id10.html

I recently got an african clawed frog and read over their information.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksage505 View Post
Wow, really? Hmm, I've always had pretty good luck with that website for care info. I don't mean frogs specifically, I've never looked there personally for that. I've mostly used it for information on my cichlids. As far as I am aware, most of the info I got for them on the cichlids was correct and can be supported by other sources.

Well, sorry for incorrect info!

What do you think about this website?

http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id10.html

I recently got an african clawed frog and read over their information.
According to my ACF expert friend (i admit i dont know much about ACFs) that is a great site, and one she uses all the time. :)
Old 10-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #10 
ScurvyGoat

Ello dearies! I be the wonderful ACF friend hehehe!

I've had ACFs for a couple of years now and learned everything between picking a high end breeder's brain and experience. Early on in my ACF adventures I learned NOT to house ACFs and Oranda goldfish together. That was the day I learned the little stinkers are the froggy equivalent of cockroaches and are bullet proof.

ADFs are really fun lil guys! I've had them a couple times but I've always had a tough time with them. I'd go 2 in a 5 gallon, 3 in a ten. So a five would be good for a betta and ADF. Just make sure some of the bloodworms get down to it because Bettas will starve a frog by eating all the food.

Never ever ever put even a baby Clawed Frog in with a baby. They are vacuums and will tear the fins like nobody's business. I personally have two in a 20 while they grow and then they are moving to a 55 I have. ACF should be in minimum 20 gallons, with ten more for each adult frog. I hope to have a little group of 4 in the 55 someday. They are REALLY fun lil guys that will learn to do tricks. My Tupac will zip over and sit in my hand if it's in the tank =3
ScurvyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote