Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

The research I did on ADF's suggested a cycled, filtered tank for them. I knew someone who had 3 in one of those tiny cube things with no heater or filter. Also, if you use a filter make sure it isn't too strong so the frogs don't get caught in it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #12 
Laki

Okay, so I was wondering (I will read those links in a minute) will it be okay to keep a betta and an adf in a medium kritter keeper with appropriate water changes and what are the pro's and cons of doing so??
I read the betta can starve the frog and even nip at his feet and eyes while he's just lazing about... Is it a good idea to mix them? Or would it be a better idea to get another KK and keep frogs seperate from betta?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #13 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Okay, so I was wondering (I will read those links in a minute) will it be okay to keep a betta and an adf in a medium kritter keeper with appropriate water changes and what are the pro's and cons of doing so??
I read the betta can starve the frog and even nip at his feet and eyes while he's just lazing about... Is it a good idea to mix them? Or would it be a better idea to get another KK and keep frogs seperate from betta?

The medium KKs are three gallons, yes? That would be alright if you do the right ammount of water changes. The only con with that is that it is about two gallons too small IMHO, but it can work temporarily. They will be in eachother's way all the time. I would say that a large KK (5 gallons) is the best option for a frog and a betta.

Also the nipping issue may happen no matter what, but it all depends on the attitude of the betta in the end. All of mine have come in contact with ADFs at some point, and only one or two have been aggressive.

If you are worried about the frog starving, simply cup the betta and feed him seperately, eventually he will learn that the cup means food and he will swim right in when you place it in the water.

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 10-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #14 
Laki

Thanks for the info! I think I'll wait and see what happens with a new apartment first. We're moving like next week. So once we're all settled in I'll see about upping the tank. I was kind of hoping this would be the largest I go for a while. So froggies might have to wait ^^

Is it better to have 2 or 3 adf??
Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #15 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Thanks for the info! I think I'll wait and see what happens with a new apartment first. We're moving like next week. So once we're all settled in I'll see about upping the tank. I was kind of hoping this would be the largest I go for a while. So froggies might have to wait ^^

Is it better to have 2 or 3 adf??
Yeah, it is always better to wait and see what happens. XD

If you want two or three you will have to up it to a ten gallon... I recommend five gallons for a pair of frogs, and ten for three/four. Of course that doesnt include the fish, so for two, go for a ten and the betta, and three you would have to hop up to a fifteen.

They are very social, but do just fine by themselves. The reason it is recommended to have more than one is because they are more active in groups, and actually play with eachother.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #16 
Laki

For sure I think it would be better to get 2 then.. I'm sorry I don't mean to intrude and steal the thread!! To the OP, I apologize!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #17 
Gizmothefreaky

Hee hee, yep! :3

Also, sorry to the OP!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #18 
BettaMiah

AFDs, so cute. Remind me of dogs for some reason. <3 I can't wait until I can get mine.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't mind getting ADF's myself.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #20 
BettaMiah

I know, aren't they adordable?
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote