Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah but I awant to make sure I have the right size tank to keep them in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 AM   #22 
HatsuneMiku

i've been seriously considering getting some ADF's .. so i do my research and read somewhere (i forget where) that they carry salmonella? anyone know if this is true or false .. and if i should be worried in anyway of this spreading ? or if they need special handling directions so that it's safe? or if this is a complete false .. and i'm worried for nothing?

also .. do these guys jump up out of the water?

and .. how well do these guys do with sand substrate?

and .. are they tropical ? can they live with goldfishies?

and .. i also read they only eat live foods .. true ? false? =D

thanks a bunch for the infos .. and sorrie for the thread-leech ^_^ .. but i figured i'd ask here instead of making a whole new thread
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #23 
Laki

Salmonella, while a serious infection, is not that bad :/ I kept RES turtles for like 12 years and I only ever got sick once. You have to keep the water clean and feed them good food and wash your hands prior and following handling. Should be fine. Kids keep ADF in tiny globe things and they don't get sick off them- though I wish they would so the globe sales would go down :<
They are tropical. So they do well with 78-80F temp. Goldfish are coldwater fish so I wouldn't mix them.
They don't necessarily need live food. They eat bloodworms and daphnia and all that gross stuff ;) But I read they need to be fed only foods that sink. You put the food in a terra cotta tray in the bottom and they will find it. They have such poor vision that if you keep other fish with them you have to distract the fish so they don't eat the frog's food!! It could take up to 10 minutes for the frogs to find the food sometimes. :/
I wouldn't keep them on sand bc they can get impacted while eating. Gravel that is bigger than their mouths is ideal.
And yes they can jump quite well. Though they are froggies they are 100% aquatic so they will perish if they jump out (stupid buggers)

Hope this helps!! (*ps all my info is what I gathered while researching when I wanted them. Though I still want them it will have to wait. So if any of my info needs critique, feel free)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #24 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Salmonella, while a serious infection, is not that bad :/ I kept RES turtles for like 12 years and I only ever got sick once. You have to keep the water clean and feed them good food and wash your hands prior and following handling. Should be fine. Kids keep ADF in tiny globe things and they don't get sick off them- though I wish they would so the globe sales would go down :<
They are tropical. So they do well with 78-80F temp. Goldfish are coldwater fish so I wouldn't mix them.
They don't necessarily need live food. They eat bloodworms and daphnia and all that gross stuff ;) But I read they need to be fed only foods that sink. You put the food in a terra cotta tray in the bottom and they will find it. They have such poor vision that if you keep other fish with them you have to distract the fish so they don't eat the frog's food!! It could take up to 10 minutes for the frogs to find the food sometimes. :/
I wouldn't keep them on sand bc they can get impacted while eating. Gravel that is bigger than their mouths is ideal.
And yes they can jump quite well. Though they are froggies they are 100% aquatic so they will perish if they jump out (stupid buggers)

Hope this helps!! (*ps all my info is what I gathered while researching when I wanted them. Though I still want them it will have to wait. So if any of my info needs critique, feel free)

While most of your info is true and very good, i do have to correct you on the sand point. They do best on sand, because it will pass right through when they feed. Gravel that is too big may trap feet and legs and cause the frog to drown.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #25 
Laki

Oh! Thanks for the clarification! I never owned them actually, all of the above info is what I gathered while doing my own research. So, I must have missed that - or misread it!! Thanks!!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #26 
HatsuneMiku

ooo =D thanks guys for the info ^_^

would i be able to keep 3 afd's with a betta in a 10g? also do afd's do well in a sorority tank ? or are they better with 1 male?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #27 
Gizmothefreaky

3 ADFs and one betta in a ten gallon is pushing your bioload a bit, but it can be done. I usually say that two frogs are good in a five, and three in a ten, so you have a little bit of space to work with. Generally i suggest 2.5 gallons per male frog, and 3 gallons per female.

I have never had a frog in a sorority, but judging the way my sorority girls react to food being dropped in, the frog would likely starve to death in short order in a sorority. Best to stick to just a single male that can easily be distracted from the frog's food.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #28 
HatsuneMiku

thank you !! that sounds good =)

how do i tell female frogs from male frogs? .. i don't really trust or want to rely on what the pet store tells me .. @_@ we all know how that can go .. keke
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #29 
Gizmothefreaky

The easiest way to tell a male from a female ADF is that the males will have a spot under their arms, ranging from just a shade lighter than their color, to bright white. Also females will have a more noticeable tail nub that remains through their life. Females will also grow larger than males.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #30 
HatsuneMiku

thank you very much gizmo ^_^ .. i can't wait to get some ... i've been wishing and researching for a month so far hehe .. i'm considering keeping them in their own tank so they won't have to fight betta for food =)