purplemuffin

Update on my pets :) LOTS of pictures!

First, the furry critters:

River looking like a creeper!

"Baby Kitty"(so wonderfully named by my creative cousin) looking goofy

(lip got stuck to tooth..sooo funny)

George looking regal

Russel being lazy!

And Forest, getting into art supplies.... He destroyed my pastel drawing! But he looks cute, so I forgive him!

Our new dog, Sadie!

Now, the exotics :)

Bella!

hermit crab! Forgot what Nathan's sister named him.

Jiraiya the Pyxie Frog

Guacamole the Pacman Frog

Bubba, after recovering from a fight(another gecko escaped and managed to get into his cage. He ripped her up more, but he still lost most of his toes in the process! All is better now, but that was scary!)

Speckle, the intruder(who lost so much skin, it's amazing she recovered!)

And Freckle, our 'special needs' gecko

Now the snakes (The MOST fun to take pictures of!)

Maru, our precious ball python

Nagini, our beautiful boa!

It's hard to believe just five months ago she could sit in my hand!

I seem to have posted the max amount of images possible. I can't help it! The animals are just so fun to take pictures of, especially now that I have a nice camera! :]
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 
diablo13

I love those frogs, all fat and froggy :D do they move allot? I love that name Nagini, very creative :)
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

Jiraiya is very active and jumps a lot! Guacamole not so much! Pacman frogs just are lazy fatties! :) Pyxies are more..active. They hunt their food, pacman frogs just wait for it to practically jump in their mouths!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #4 
diablo13

Lol, that's so funny :D i've been considering getting a Poison Dart Frog myself. I think frogs are so cute. Being all lazy or spazzy :D
Old 10-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Poison dart frogs are great, the one thing that's tricky about them is making sure you have a food source small enough. Some need pinhead crickets(newborn crickets) they are so small! And it's hard to get those! The easiest thing to feed them is flightless fruit flies, but you need to be able to get those online. That's the main thing keeping me away from smaller bug eating animals!

I also want a tarantula or two, but the ones I want are pricy, so I would need to get them small--meaning they'd need that tiny food!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #6 
diablo13

Yeah, that's a big problem. But on the upside, they can go in a 10 gallon :D what kind of tarantulas do you like?
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

Right now I'm interested in starting out with a "Green bottle Blue" and a "Brazilian Black Tarantula"

Later I'd like an avic versicolor, but what I REALLY want is insanely out of my price range-- poecilotheria metallica or the "gooty tarantula".. They are uh..pricy. About 150 for an unsexed baby, 300 for a sexed male, and 600 for a female. Or more depending on size and quality. But boy are they gorgeous! Fiesty though, so it wouldn't be a pet I would hold and play with. Just to look at and admire and care for!:) I can only really see myself getting those if I were to get into breeding tarantulas. I can't imagine making a 600 dollar investment on a spider, unless I hoped to maybe continue the line and get babies. Really, really pretty babies!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #8 
diablo13

Don't male taratulas only live a couple of years? And aren't those Gooty Tarantulas like....really poisonous?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

Males of all tarantulas only live 1-2 years or less, yeah. That's why the males are cheaper--females can be long lasting pets. Gooty tarantulas are old world tarantulas so yes, they have a stronger venom--but they also do NOT have the ability to flick hairs, which is where a lot of the real danger in tarantulas come from.

There's no worries as long as you're a responsible owner--there is no reason for a tarantula to ever escape if you know what you're doing. Even if it bites you, unless you are allergic a gooty tarantula will not kill you--you might have a REALLY bad week though.

But I wouldn't let that happen. All my animals have good locking enclosures(more for their own protection--from the cats and all!) and a tarantula would be no exception. I'm not going to toss it in a fish tank with no lid and hope for the best! :) All precautions will be taken for the care of my own health, and the tarantula's health! :)
Old 10-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #10 
diablo13

That's good, I know taratulas can't kill people. But that hair flicking sounds.....urgh. And don't female tarantulas live a REALLY long time? I don't know if this is reliable, but I read This one thing that said 60 years 0.0