Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #21 
Dragonlady

Your tortie cat is so pretty! Pacmans are interesting too. When you watch them eat, you understand how they get their name. I was in disbelief the first time I saw what the adults frogs eat.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #22 
purplemuffin

Oh yeah, they can pack away a lot. And they are little PIGS! I have seen mine push his stomach down with his hands to make more room for food! Hilarious!

We've never fed ours rodents as they can be hard on their bodies--it's fine to do, but they need to wait a lot longer between feeding again if you do that. We mostly feed earthworms and crickets for him right now, but he's still pretty small compared to the big ladies!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #23 
BettaMiah

I really want a snake... Darn mom...

I really wanted a PacMan Frog, but then I heard you had to feed them pinkies and stuff which I could NOT do. Crickets and other bugs, okay. I'm down with bugs. But an innocent cute little baby mouse? NO! That is considered another pet for me, not food.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #24 
purplemuffin

You do not have to feed pinkies to a pacman frog ever. We never did and he's already at the point where he could eat a mostly grown mouse. Some people choose to feed rodents as it can be cheaper(larger food, need to feed less often) but they should never be a staple for a pacman frog. When he gets bigger we may feed already humanely euthanized frozen thawed rodents, but it's not necessary! Earthworms get big, and you can feed them a lot of those, or fish, or roaches, crickets, etc. (though that would be a LOT of crickets when they get huge!)

How would you handle a snake then if you can't feed rodents? They need to eat rodents. I consider mice and rats pets too, and I have had them as pets while having snakes as pets. But I have to find the balance. I can understand how it's hard, but it's one of those facts of life things. Snakes do eat rodents, and keep the population down. One nice thing about snakes, is unlike cats, they don't play with their food and keep it alive and suffering! :( Yikes. But yeah, it makes me sad, but I remember that the rodent lived a wonderful life and is now still fulfilling a use, nourishing the body of my pets, rather than being simply being buried or thrown in the garbage after it dies.

There aren't many snakes that don't eat rodents, and the ones that don't generally aren't good pets(really, really, really hard to care for), so that's all I'm concerned about. Snakes are amazing animals though, and really rewarding pets. Truthfully, owning a snake has made me rethink the way I eat, and helped me become more aware of what I put into my own body. When we eat meat, it comes from an animal, when our dogs eat dog food that has meat, that came from an animal. I think it's important to not be so distant from our food. If we choose to live as meat eaters, we should do our best to pick the healthiest, happiest food and be aware of what we're doing. :)

But I can understand. A rodent eating animal is not the best pet for everybody. I know if there was an animal whose diet consisted of reptiles, I would be unable to feed it. There is a snake I have always wanted that is a lizard eater, but thinking of feeding anoles and geckos makes me so sad. So I know I won't get that snake. I'll just love it from a distance :)
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #25 
BettaMiah

:/ I know. I just couldn't do it. Only maybe if it died on its own...

But can't you just feed them dead thawed rodents? Do they have to have a heartbeat? I would just wiggle it around a little....

I think snakes are adorable. Their faces... to die for! Cute little guys, and fun to pet, too.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #26 
purplemuffin

You can feed them already dead rodents that were euthanized humanely of course! EVEN for a pacman frog! We buy frozen rodents that were from a great place where the rodents were all treated like pets and given super fun lives. We got to tour the facility, and these guys get better care than a lot of pet rodents I've seen! None of our animals eat live!

Some snakes are tricky to switch over, so that's why it's good to buy one who already will eat food that was frozen and thawed. :)

and snakes are sooo cute, ball pythons especially!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #27 
BettaMiah

Yesssss! And the dream lives ON! I will get one.

There is this one snake I fell in love with, it has huge eyes and is a really nice bright green color. I forgot what it is called, but it lives in a Jungle somewhere. Lol. I want one....
Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #28 
purplemuffin

Emerald tree boa or a green tree python maybe? Haha, there are a few green snakes out there! Just make sure you do your research on the snake first, not all snakes are good for handling, and not all snakes are good beginners. Corn snakes are great beginner snakes and come in a million colors, for cheap, too if from a breeder! Heads up--DON'T buy from a petstore--they overcharge by a lot(like, a 10 dollar normal ball python is sold there for 80 dollars) and the snakes are often times unhealthy and require expensive vet bills later! But from a good breeder they are healthy, beautiful, and you can talk to the breeder about if you want a really docile snake, and that you want one that eats f/t rodents instead of live and he will work with you to find the perfect pet! :D
Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #29 
diablo13

Hey Muffin( may I call you that?), can Pacmans live permantely in a 10 gallon? The males, I know females probably need larger.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #30 
purplemuffin

Sure, muffin, kat, whatever. As long as I can figure out you're talking to me, lol!

I think a male definitely could. Some do get bigger but that could be 5 years before he starts needing room. They don't MOVE much like I said, they just chill out in the substrate most of the time. Biggest thing is covering 80 percent of the lid to keep in moisture, spraying with dechlorinated water for humidity, and keeping it a little warm. A small heat pad on the side of the tank will keep the temps warm enough most likely.

I'd say go for it, but be willing to upgrade in 4-5 years if he continues to get too large or if you happen to get a lady. if that's the case, it's easy to get a sterilite tub with proper floor space, just drill 4 or 5 holes in the lid for ventilation. You can upgrade to a 20 gallon if you want it as a display thing, but the tub could hold you over for cheap until then. Pacman frogs are EASY! :)