Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #31 
diablo13

Can you tell the difference between gender? Or is it a sorta you get lucky thing? So do I need to upgrade eventually, or is it if he gets too big?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #32 
purplemuffin

You can't tell really til they are older. You can find an adult sexed frog, but that's 50 dollars or more. Just upgrade if it looks too small! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #33 
diablo13

Hrmm, ok. I've been reading some google pages, and what do you use for substrate? I think I read Peat Moss or Coco fiber or something.....
Old 10-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #34 
purplemuffin

No moss!! It can KILL frogs. Will get in their body and can't come out! I use eco earth! :) Eco earth is basically coco fiber. They sell it online or in pet stores in the reptile section.

When I am filling the tank I put in the eco earth first and have a large jug of dechlorinated water. I slowly poor water in and mix the water with the eco earth(with my hand or a tool) until all of the eco earth is soaked and damp(but not like too wet. If you squeeze it and a ton of water comes out, it's too wet). You don't want dry substrate as it will suck the moisture right out of the frog! But the eco earth holds in humidity like CRAZY!

I check in on the frog and look for poop and just spot clean with a paper towel. Once every couple months the substrate will go bad(starts to get a little rancid) and you just add more eco earth. A big bag should last you a while. You don't need DEEP substrate, but you want him to dig!

They also like a bowl of water to sit in(dechlorinated of course). They can't swim, so it needs to be shallow enough they can get in and out and not be deep in water. They are shy, so I like to add a plastic plant in there for him to hide under. :)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #35 
diablo13

Hrmm, ok. So Coco Fiber for substrate, small water dish, plastic plants, they actually sound rather inexpensive. So is like 2-3 inches of substrate OK? Or do I need more?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #36 
purplemuffin

2-3 inches is perfectly fine. I sort of eyeball it. If my frog looks like there isn't enough substrate, I add more next time. If a lot is going unused and wasted, maybe less. They are VERY inexpensive. :D Feed them whatever makes you feel comfortable: crickets, feeder guppies(NOT goldfish), dubia roaches, earthworms/nightcrawlers(not red wigglers) when they are larger, rodents(frozen thawed, not live), etc. etc.

I wouldn't feed bugs from outside, pesticides and all that. Not good for frogs!

Yeah, that's pretty much it. At first you'll feed every day, then every other day as he gets bigger. Mine eats about twice a week, and the big ones sometimes only eat once every two weeks. He'll let you know when he's hungry!

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-11-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #37 
diablo13

They sound very interesting, I think Guacomole is beautiful. Do they come in color mutations? Like weird patterns? Or do they all look the same?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #38 
betaguy

U get nagini from HP?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #39 
purplemuffin

Sure do!

(ornates stay green, normals turn brown)

A more red ornate

There are also these morphs in japan:
http://www.samurep.jp/syohin/animals.html but shipping is expensive! Some breeders have shipped them over and breed/sell them, but they are priiicy!

One more thing is occasionally dust feeders with calcium/calcium with d3/vitamin powder. You can look up a care sheet to see the amount depending on the size of the frog. If you have crickets just put a pinch into the bag they give you and "shake n bake" to get them coated with the powder.

Pacman frogs are often actually hybrids of the different horned frog species that all look relatively similar, so sometimes you will see weird patterns on them. Check out www.kingsnake.com and click the classifieds. Check out horned, pacman, and pyxie frogs section, you'll see some cool stuff!

And betaguy-- Yeah, she's my tribute to HP :D
Old 10-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #40 
diablo13

Woah, those are awesome! But....what's wrog with the one in #2? it looks like a pancake 0.0